Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / need help or idea - shower valve
Borrego
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 20:04

When I had my plumbing installed, I used my plumber's son (who was willing to go out to the desert for not much $$), everything worked out fine - except he asked what my finish shower wall would be and I said 1" (1/2" hardiboard and 1/2 " tile). He set the shower valve at 1 1/2" so I have a1/2" gap between the escutcheon plate and the tile! Could fill it with silicone, but that would look crappy...it's a Kohler valve and I was hoping they might have a fatter plate but no luck so far....any ideas?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 20:09

Is there a room or closet on the other side of that shower wall? If there is one solution is to cut out a square from the other side and remount the shower valve. I've done swap ours, old for new, that way a few times.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 21:08

Was thinkin about that.......wife's just finished kitchen is on the other side. When I mentioned the idea of opening a 'very small' hole above her cherished custom tile back splash, there were grumblings heard...... top of splash is at 42", valve is just slightly higher.........

Thanks though.....appreciate your help as always....

Gregjman
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 21:12

I just did the same thing at home and bought a drop in plastic cover and frame for the hole I made from menards for around 8$. Worked out pretty slick as I didn't want to patch the drywall in a room I plan on gutting anyway.

Could you cut a custom shim plate the same diameter as the valve plate?

adakseabee
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 21:46

Along the same vein as Gregjman's suggestion, you could cut (or have cut by a pro) a piece of 1/2" thick tile or stone into a circle about one inch more in diameter than the diameter of your shower escutcheon plate. Cut a hole in the center so it can fit over the mixing valve. Attach the shim to the tile wall with a suitable adhesive. If you have a tile or stone shop cut the piece for you, they should be able to dress up the outer edge with a smooth curve so you won't accidentally cut yourself when your eyes are full of soapy water and you reach for the handle to the shower valve.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.