Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Safety
ryafc
# Posted: 23 Feb 2010 01:06

I am thinking of building a 200 sq ft cabin on land in texas. My uncle told me not to build it because it will just be torn down. How does one protect the property if they are not at the cabin and is it dangerous?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 23 Feb 2010 16:15

Torn down as in vandalized?

This is your land? Is it fenced? Any neighbors? Close to the border?

ryafc
# Posted: 23 Feb 2010 21:30

I have not built yet. It would be about 20 miles from the border near Van Horne Texas. My grandfather had a cabin in Indiana that was eventually vandalized and torn apart by junkers and others. There was even a criminal that was hiding out in it and the cops ended up shoothing him. It seems like if you are not there at times it is a risk.

R

ryafc
# Posted: 23 Feb 2010 21:31

It is not fenced and the only neigbhbors are ranchers that say they always carry.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 23 Feb 2010 22:18

That's a real bummer. Does that part of Texas have a problem with trafficking? You might talk to the ranchers to get an idea of how they protect any structures they have.

A friend of mine has a sign on the last gate going into his place that says 'Smile you have been on trailcam!' He can see where a number of vehicles turn around at that gate.

How many acres do you have. It might be worth fencing some of it to slow down easy access. Also if you can be there often that might help. A talk with local law enforcement might also be a good idea.

A 14x14 shell might not cost too much to build, see how if fares before finishing it off nicely.

steveqvs
# Posted: 24 Feb 2010 09:36

Might want to look into a container cabin. You can lock it up pretty tight, not as pretty as a cabin though......but safe.

Homochitto
# Posted: 24 Feb 2010 19:45

You are never safe from someone burglarizing or vandalizing your home. One reason I am building my cabin far away in the boondocks is because my house (in town with neighbors) was burglarized last spring while I was at work one day.They caught the punks that did it and I was able to get some of my property back but not much of it at all.
When my house got robbed everybody (even the police)was saying "it's somebody you know" and it turns out that I was just a random victim along with about 15 other people in this county.
I have thought about security at my rural property and thought, It at least lessens my chances of getting burglarized or vandalized but I will still take measures that could prevent something like what happened to me once from ever happening again.Also in the country any time some does see me out that way I'm always packing and maybe that will send a message.lol.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.