Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Newbie here but lurking for years
Usa89gt
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 08:23

Hi Folks

I have been reading for many years and everyone here is such an inspiration. I am heading out to start my pier foundation today. 12x24 cabin and foundation will be 10x24 with 12" cantilever on each side to bring it to 12 feet. I had 10 4x4 square beams welded with 18" square base and a 16"x8" plate ate the top to accept beams. I applied 2 coats of Por15 paint to ensure they are rust proof. We will dig them at least 4 feet deep as we have frost and backfill with crushed stone and earth. At this time I am looking for 12x24 cabin plans with loft at either end along with a 4 foot porch in front. Can any PLEASE help me with any plans? I will gladly pay for them or make a donation to a charity if your choice. Thanks and wish me luck as I am heading out.

MJW
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 08:45

Good luck!

Can't help you with plans as I drew mine out on a notebook.

Looking forward to seeing lots of photos of your progress.

Usa89gt
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 08:50

Thx... I am not the best with computers so I need to learn how to upload photos. [img=null]null[/img]

VTweekender
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 12:00

Welcome aboard! All the best on your build, these 12x24 plans may help... http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Ecological_Building/12x24-Homesteader%27s-Cabin-v 1.pdf ..

rockies
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 16:29

Hi, you can look at my thread "Cozy $4000 Cabin Additions" and adapt it to your needs if you want. A 4 foot wide porch is not really going to be very useful. I was reading an article in "Fine Homebuilding" magazine on porch design and they recommended 8' as a minimum in order to have room for chairs and to get around them.

Usa89gt
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 16:57

Just came back and it has been so wet we have 1.5 foot ruts in the mud hauling the steel beams, some lumber and crushed stone. It sits on 100 acres and round trip by tractor and bucket/grapple is 30 mins.... I spent $450 just moving my crap and likely the same amount tomorrow digging the holes for the posts. This gets costly very quick.... Holy smokies!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 11:21 - Edited by: trollbridge

Welcome!
Quoting: Usa89gt
. Holy smokies!

Holy smokies, Holy buckets, Holy cow....anyway ya look at it it gets pricey!!! Just gotta figure as close as ya can, shop around, and hold on for the ride!!! It is a lot of cha ching, cha ching at first, but then it does slow down.

I look forward to pictures and hearing about your progress! Congratulations on getting started

Usa89gt
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 17:47

Well..... I spent 6 hrs working today and I have never seen so much water and mud. We got 6 steel beams/piers in and called it a day. Cold, wet and generally frustrated with my property being torn to rat-$hit because of all the tractor tire ruts. If it doesn't freeze soon I will only get my foundation done until spring time. Trying to backfill the beams was tough because our land is full of stones. I have took some advice and I am bumping the cabin to 12x28 including an 8 foot screened porch as recommended by a member here. All in all, still fun but hate was money dealing with mud.

rayyy
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 16:50

Lol,your bringing back old memories Usa.Try to remember this day when your standing in your nice warm, toasty cabin someday looking out the window at a wet,cold,drewry day and thinking to your self,this was all worth it!I lay in bed at night hearing the rain,cold and snow pelting my tin roof and it just makes me smile.You will get there,I assure you.

Usa89gt
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 19:52

Thanks rayyy... I needed to hear that

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.