Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pest proofing question
blackburb
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 16:32

Greetings First time posting a question. My brother and I are just finishing up a log cabin. It sits above grade on concrete piers. We have stapled 1/4" hardware cloth to the underside to help deter small critter entry into the underfloor insulation/area. My question - and this may be a little weird - would it be possible and/or helpful to electrify the hardware cloth with a solar fencer as an increased deterrent?

We have a nearly 60 year old existing cabin on the property built by our father and his buddies in which we co-exist with an ever present mouse problem. We are trying to make the new cabin as mouse-proof as possible. Thanks for your replies.

ps - I should note we have zero experience with electric fencing and this thought just popped into my head while running underfloor electrical.

rockies
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 17:32

I read that a mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a pencil eraser! I would worry about the weather shorting out the wiring for an exposed system.

blackburb
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 18:41

I'm not sure what you're thinking, it doesn't get more exposed than an electric fence.

I've also seen the pencil eraser statement. That's about the size of 1/4" hardware cloth. However, they wouldn't be trying to squeeze thru if they're getting shocked.

blackburb
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 18:51

Doing some research into electric fencing, it appears it wouldn't work in this application as the vermin would only be in contact with the "live" hardware cloth and not with any ground to complete the circuit. Maybe someone will read this and invent hardware cloth with both hot and ground wire! That would be expensive to manufacture...

dsaw
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 12:33

It doesn't address the question at hand, but you can wrap your pillers and your step/stairs w/metal flashing, then they won't have a way to climb up to the cabin.

blackburb
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 16:59

Quoting: dsaw
It doesn't address the question at hand, but you can wrap your pillers and your step/stairs w/metal flashing, then they won't have a way to climb up to the cabin.

We've considered that, but don't really like it from an aesthetic point and as the cabin sits on a slope, the rear sill logs/joists are close enough to the ground for most varmints to jump on if they wanted.

beachman
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 19:25

This is exactly the same issue that we faced. We had an older mouse-infested cabin and built a new one down the path about 50 ft away. We built the floor of the new place as tight as we could and after two year, no mice. The thing to watch is the holes you out in the floor for drains, water and other. If these are tight, then you should be good. If there are any areas of concern, use steel wool to jam in the spaces.

creeky
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 08:52

That pest block spray foam seems to work. I had a trailer infested with mice and was able to spray all the entry points. drains. electric. etc. and got it down to one spot I couldn't seal because it was the tip out and had to be able to move. put a trap there and did pretty well.
but man they are crafty. I insulated an outbuilding for my studio. replaced all the doors. windows. sealed it up good. they came in the roof. i could hear them lifting the metal roof and sneaking into the attic. after foaming the entire roof line and screwing down the metal roof with 40 or so extra screws the studio is now mouse free. and bat free. and moth free. still working on ant free.

swampshaman
# Posted: 18 Nov 2013 10:15

I just installed rockwool insulation in my floor and walls.'They" say that the mice will not chew or burrow through it because it is made of steel/rock fibers which cut them up.

cityconvert
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 14:07

I haven't encountered any mice inside my cabin, however outside I see evidence of them everywhere. I am worried that they may eventually chew their way inside. Any ideas on preventative measures I can take?

old243
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

A friend of mine screwed a row of mouse traps on a board. baited them, He was away for several days during the week, emptied them when he returned. Maybe a bit smelly , but quite effective. Old243

old243
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 15:01

Should have added to the previous post , he put the board outside or under his camp, not inside. old243

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 19:41

City: Oust a Mouse. Sold in Canada. Google it.

saskboy
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 22:25

a mouse cant get through 1/4'' steel mesh, their skull wont fit. Biggest thing with any building we have on the farm is keep all cracks and holes sealed up with anything. Doesnt have to have any steel mesh even to be mouse proof on the farm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.