Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / My Next Cabin.......
RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:13 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

I'm in the process of selling my current place in anticipation of severely downsizing.

I intend to pursue one of two approaches, either a very small code compliant permanent dwelling that'll become my primary residence at some point or a small cabin on a trailer that's intended to minimize taxes with the idea that I may eventually get rid of it and build something more permanent.

The property will likely be in the Finger Lakes region of New York.

I very much like the general design of the Skeena cabin that was once available from the now defunct Wilderness Cabin Company, Ltd. in Canada.

For a permanent place I'm thinking maybe a 12 x 16 cabin with a porch front and back.
The foundation under the porch will be on par with the cabin foundation in case I decide to "add-on" by further developing one of the porches in the future.
The other porch will be screened and used as a summer kitchen.
I intend to make the kitchen portable so that it can be rolled out to the porch in summer and returned to the cabin in winter. The pantry will also be portable.
Portable kitchen concept:

Second floor access is one of the biggest challenges in designing a small comfortable cabin.
I grew to HATE ladders and spiral stairways.
I can't imagine liking alternating stairs or alternating ladders either.
I need something that I won't dread to tread.
So, I'm thinking about a compact winder staircase with storage and the water closet (bathroom) incorporated underneath.

I haven't decided on a heating system.
I really would like something set apart from the cabin, but I don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

Any thoughts on portable kitchens, compact REAL staircases, affordable heat, space saving ideas, etc.????

Thanks!

rockies
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:25

Hi, you can look at any of my "Cozy Cabin" threads. The smallest one is 12 x 18 with a small bumpout in the livingroom for a built in sofa. The window on the north side of the livingroom could be converted into a doorway to a bedroom addition in the future, or you could widen the sofa and turn it into a bed/sofa nook. Alternating stairs function just like a real staircase, with full width treads for your foot on each step. The larger "Cozy Cabin" shows an attached pantry and screen porch, but the loft needs stem walls in order to raise the roof and gable windows higher up so they don't interfer with the lower leanto roofs.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:37

Thanks!

I'm not against a bump out but isn't that a rather expensive add-on for just sofa space?

I wish I could try out a set of alternating stairs before saying yes or no...I'd hate to go with them and regret it!!

I also should have said that it's very important to me that I be able to stand up in the second story....at least in the center.

rockies
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:49

The other thread "Smaller Cozy Cabin" has a ceiling height of 7 feet at the ridge, and the stem walls could be made higher if you wanted more room. The bumpout really makes the room, since it pulls the sofa back (and allows it to be builtin), thereby leaving space on either side for a table and chairs on the south wall and closets on the north wall. Too many cabins have just one open space, and you get tired of looking at the same four walls, The bumpout creates a small "room within a room" and really needs very material to frame it in.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:57

Thanks!

In the past I had considered putting a small sunroom on one end, that's still a very remote possibility.
With the way the world is operating currently, I've decided that it's more important to keep the cabin as simple as possible to minimize all expenses including taxes and insurance.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 21:57

I'm also considering a home-built SUPER-insulated DC powdered fridge designed for minimal power consumption that's also made portable via wheels.....

rockies
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 17:16

I suppose the basic idea I'm trying to convey with my designs is that if you plan on adding on in the future, you should know where and how so that you can include the framing for the additions in the walls now. The simplest shape to design and build is a simple rectangle with a straight gable roof, but then you get the same boring box every time. High pitch roof with a loft, low pitch roof, shed style sloped roof, it's still a box. The other thing I try to show is that just because it's only 320 sq' (or smaller) there's no reason why you can't get a functioning kitchen and bathroom inside with standard or apartment sized appliances and fixtures. The other trouble a lot of people have with building a simple rectangular shaped "box cabin" is the furniture layout. How do you get a sofa or chair, eating table and chairs, fire stove, storage etc into a small room without it looking like a "mad trappers shack"? If budget dictates, build the box, but include the framing for the bumpout (side posts and beam) in the wall so you can easily add on later. Same with window placement. If you know you're adding on a screen porch, pantry or bedroom later, make the window openings easily converted to doorways. Too many times people lock themselves into a design purely out of budget constraints (or a desire for a "specific" sized cabin) and then when they have more resources they can't adapt the original design because they didn't plan ahead.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 17:40

Makes sense but I'm more interested in utility and economy over looks. I don't need to impress anyone other than myself and the novelty of something fancy soon wears off anyway.

I'll build "charm" into the place with functional outbuildings and the like...a tiny smokehouse...an earthen oven...wood fired hot tub, etc.

I don't have any intentions of adding on in the future, but just in case, I will make provisions for that.

As far as the sofa or chair, eating table and chairs, fire stove, storage etc. looking like a mad trapper's shack...I have several strategies to counter that...again I want to keep it simple and functional....it's it's not something that's used regularly...it's not going to be in the place.

That brings us to the kitchen....again...I'm interested in utility and function...a range won't be part of the new cabin.....I use a single burner 90% of the time and I can get away with a small toaster oven and the earthen oven I mentioned above...so a range is not needed.....I very much regret purchasing the range that I currently have....no dishwasher...nothing that isn't essential.

For heat, I'm considering an outside wood-fired boiler of some sort that'll heat both the cabin and a small shop.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:18

Hi RidgeRunner: I have a nice kitchen in my cabin but would like to add a outdoor screened summer kitchen. Here are some photos I saved:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:23 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

Thanks silverwaterlady,

Outdoor kitchens are great!
I do a lot of canning and the like.....doing that outdoors sure beats doing it in a hot indoor kitchen!!!!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:24

I like the design of this first cabin. The side porch could be screened in and used as a outdoor summer kitchen. The second photo is a good inexpensive idea to add a quick temporary shelter to the back of your cabin. I like the cozy cabin look of the third photo.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:28

Yes and I do really love the third photo!
I saw that on Tiny House Blog, I think.

I'd love to have a Rumford fireplace, but that's probably not going to happen.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:39

That is a lovely fireplace. I really wanted one in our log cabin but there was no way we could get insured with one since we are so remote.

I used to go out on trash day in the suburb I live in and find cool things for the cabin, one night I found a gas burning fireplace from the 1970's someone threw out. Someday I'm going to set that up in a outdoor fire pit.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 20:59 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

That sounds like a plan!!!!

I called today about a piece of property.
It's only 3 acres (partly wooded) but that's okay....I'm tired of busting my butt farming.
I'll be happy with a decent garden, some chickens and maybe a few other critters.
Anyway....the land has a well and sewer...electric too....but I prefer to stay off the grid!!!
It's in PA, but it borders New York state.
Fine with me...I'm a PA mountain native.
Asking price, $20,000...that's not bad if it fits my needs.
I plan to take a look at it soon.

neb
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 11:47

Keep us posted sounds like you have a good plan.

razmichael
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 12:37

Quoting: RidgeRunner
I plan to take a look at it soon.

Hopefully it works out! Let us know.

rockies
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 17:41

I am planning on using the "Profab Empyre Elite 100" indoor wood furnace. It sits inside a small outbuilding and can heat several buildings at once with radiant tubing, and also makes all your hot water too. It's nice because I don't want a fireplace or wood stove inside the cabin, with all the dirt, soot, bugs and mold. Also why give up floor space when you won't be using the wood stove for half the year anyways? Plus you don't get hot water with a wood stove (or not much).

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 17:52

Interesting....that's similar to the AquaTherm Original boilers.

Do you happen to know how much the Profab Empyre costs?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 22:28 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I did research on the outdoor wood burning furnaces years ago because that is what we wanted for our off grid cabin. I just did a refresher course and nothing has changed.

One must already have a heating system in place to utilize this system. Either a furnace with a blower motor and duct work or a boiler with registers or baseboards. A radiant floor system would work for heating however only in a moderate climate.

Using water for radiant floor heating and a boiler in a off grid cabin that is vacant a time in the winter is not a good idea. I don't know if one could use anti freeze in this system. That would be a good idea if you could. Because even if you could drain every drop of water out of these systems you would still need to worry about corrosion.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 18 Nov 2013 08:09 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

There are various ways to address those issues.
The biggest issues (for me) are cost, maintenance and longevity of the system(s).

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 18 Nov 2013 09:01

Okay, the Empyre Elite is a gasifier, so not so much like the AquaTherm.
Looks like it runs around $8,000.00

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.