Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Why do some owners choose not to backfill the area behind the house?
timber26
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 10:47

Hi!

I am building a small cabin, 13X19, and I have a curiosity question.

I will be building into a hill and I have noticed that some home owners choose not to backfill the sides and back of the property. Why? There is an open space that one can walk completely around the property and usually a wall on the back and sides.

I have also noticed that commercial buildings do this a lot too when built near a hill.

Why is this strategy useful? Moisture elimination? Heads off future foundation problems?

Thanks for your comments. I have searched the forums and never found an answer.

Eric

Truecabin
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 11:44

water and soil pressure and freezing
it can be done but depens on your soil type and the water too

timber26
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 12:17

Is it "better" to have this kind of open walk around? I prefer not to have footing or foundation problems in my lifetime; a little extra money and time are not a problem.

I have been told that I should not have any drainage problems by my friend who is a landscape architect. The neighbor warned me, when he built, that he hit lots of boulders; we shall see.

Additionally, if I hit water when digging out the foundation I will choose to move the foundation up the hill or sideways.

Thanks!
Eric

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.