Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / building on or close to brook
cbatt73
# Posted: 10 Mar 2010 13:41

Hello, first time post here. I found my way here trying to find out information on building a cabin near or on a stream or brook. We have 5 acres with a brook running through it, I thought it would be nice to have our cabin built as close to the brooks edge as possible. 1) Is this a bad idea
2) Does anybody know where I find regulations on this, is it determined by provincial, or municipal codes. * I'm in Canada*
Any ideas, suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 10 Mar 2010 14:31 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

Don't know about regulations but there are a couple of livability issues. They are gray water and flood water.

We have 80 acres with a creek/brook running through it. Two of the three cabins will be near the creek. One will sit on rocks about 12 feet above the creek. No worries about flood water but the gray water needs to be run away from the creek. It should enter porous soil or mulch bed at least 50ft. away from the high water mark of the creek.

The second cabin will only be a few feet above the flood plan of the creek. It will be set against a hill on a post/pier foundation with the floor deck of the cabin about 5 ft. above the flood plain. Grey water will have to be run laterally along the hill until it can be routed into the soil at least 50ft. from the creek.

Aesthetically I think it is a great place to put your cabin. It will just take a little planning. I really like the idea but my wife fell in love with the view up on the hill. This is where the third cabin, ours, will go.

The View

Good luck with your project. Pictures and progress are appreciated by all on the forum.

cbatt73
# Posted: 10 Mar 2010 15:30

Thanks for the response Mike.

Another issue for me is about the foundation of the cabin. I.m wondering if a source of running water like the brook was nearby, does that mean I have to build completly above ground, I wanted to put in a simple cement basement to keep a cold room, and storage.
Attaching a couple of pics, I wanted to put the cabin just behind where the top person is standing. The other pic would be my view.
CABINlocation.jpg
CABINlocation.jpg
cabinview.jpg
cabinview.jpg

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 10 Mar 2010 15:47

Nice location and great view.

I would think that the bottom of your basement would have to be above the high water line. If the creek is running in a bit of hard pan you might be able to have the basement floor at a lower level but I think that would be asking for trouble.

Others may be able to tell you if a solid pour concrete basement could resist the water. I'm pretty sure block would not.

It's hard to tell how high the ground rises above your head in the picture but you might just have enough room for a 6'-7' basement if it sticks out of the ground a little.

Our creek view is a little more barren.

Cabin View

larry
# Posted: 10 Mar 2010 20:41

wow, what a spot. i can see why you want to build there. i also have a creek nearby, 200 feet. when the snow pack melts and the rains come it really floods and at that time i feel good in my decision to have built above the high water mark.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.