Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Best Wood Flooring for Off-Grid Cabin
BaconCreek
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 22:50

We are in the process of finishing the inside of our 12x24 cabin. We will likely use some type of wall board sheeting for the interior walls but I am not sure about the floor.
I like the idea of wood but neither of us have installed a hardwood floor. Wood look products would be acceptable but I don't know if they would work in an off-grid environment.
I have read that some laminates will separate at the seam in cold weather.
We have used the vinyl plank floating floor system (Traffic Master at Home Depot) at home and it has done well. I would like to use some of that product but I'm not sure about temp fluctuations. We are in KY and the humidity is incredible in the summer.
I think I remember someone on here who used 1x4 pine planks for their cabin floor and just butted them together and nailed them down. That sounds easy to do if it would work.
Anyone have any ideas?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 23:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I used the laminate stuff, no glue, no nails, snaps together on a real thin blue pad. Simple to install, very little expanding/contracting with temps. Looks great when its all done. Its only about 5/16" thick. So it doesnt build up your floor too high either.
Laminate flooring
Laminate flooring

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 07:14

We have maple hardwood flooring in the main part of the cabin. It has been in place approximately 10 years now and is performing well. The cabin is off grid so the flooring has gone through extreme temperature fluctuations with no issues. We are in Eastern Ontario and it can get quite humid in the summer as well. In the back room of the cabin I have laminate flooring and no issues with the temperature extremes for it either.

PatrickH
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 07:48

A friend of mine used pallets in his off-grid cabin in central Wisconsin using the planks he nailed them to his plywood subfloor sanded stained and poly looks really nice old look with the exposed nails held up nicely now 7 years almost no cost

MJW
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 08:29

We used the same thing we did our interior walls with, 1 x 7 pine carsiding.

Just flipped it over and used the flat side for the floor.

It is softer wood but we like the "worn" look it gives.
DSCN0375.JPG
DSCN0375.JPG
DSCN0412.JPG
DSCN0412.JPG

optimistic
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 08:57 - Edited by: optimistic

I am not a fan of laminate or engineered floors. Just a matter of taste and very subjective.

We put this in our off the grid: http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Utility-Oak-R.L.-Colston-OA3U/10000722

Reasons: price, solid oak=strong, and because it is utility grade it has many holes/imperfections which makes it look old and we love that look! It is a mix oak white and red oak which we love!

Cons: no warranty even-though I am quite sure those are baloney - I want to see how any of those woodflooring companies 'honor' their floors after 10 years when you say they got wrapped.
Many damaged/unusable parts so installation time is longer as you need to look for good pieces but again - we like the holes and such so we weren't so picky.

Also keep in mind that off grid cabins are not big so this is not so bad in terms of the extended time it takes to install.

We loved the result so much that we actually plan on redoing our floors are home with these...

Here is how it looks at my cabin:

So like I said - we like the rustic look and the imperfections. I am not a fan of the 'plywood' look of wood floors... where it looks like one big pieces as all the pieces are identical and sit perfectly. Matter of taste

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 09:52 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We have white cedar flooring milled from our trees at the local lumberyard in our loft. The cabin is off grid. It is very cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Built in 2006 and not one problem.

We plan on using wide plank pine floors downstairs also locally sourced wood milled at the same lumberyard.
Cedar loft floor
Cedar loft floor
Projected wide plank floor
Projected wide plank floor
Like this as well
Like this as well

countrygirl
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 12:10

Really cheap wood floors
OSB sand it smooth.
They set the OSB sheets down on the floor and kept the joints super tight remember to offset the seams.
(rent floor sander) then coat with polyurethane 3 times

we did this to our 1700sq cabin. if we want to put wood floor down later we still can, this look great and you can stain it whatever color you like.

I think this floor is brilliant. It looks great and was inexpensive.
floor
floor

smithk
# Posted: 26 Dec 2013 23:25

Love the floor Country Girl. All the floors look amazing but very impressed with the OSB. Great look and cheap!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.