Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Condensation on floor
davey25
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 00:11

So I tried out the cabin for its first winter..everything went well warmed up great..was able to walk around barefoot...was expecting to be a lot colder near the floor but it was only probably a few degrees..now I have a three quarter inch floor no insulation..it was minus 17 c that night..I pulled out my bed..it lays on the floor..then cabin did cool down somewhat as it would at night..i tended to the fire and kept it from going completely out at night ..when I woke up and started to put my fold out bed away (it's directly on floor) the underside was wet as was the floor..I'm guessing this is condensation from the hot cold..any remedies..anyone else experience this.thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 00:36

Quoting: davey25
.any remedies

1. Insulate the floor.
2. Lower the humidity.

#1 is the best and easiest long term solution.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 08:26

And I'd get that mattress up off the floor with air space beneath.

Warm air holds more moisture than cold, when warm moist air hits a cold surface it loses its moisture, thus condensation. Breathing is a major source of moisture in inside air, you probably don't want to stop doing that, but when you cook or shower opening windows to let out the moisture might help.

I'm surprised that your uninsulated floor is cold enough to create serious condensation but not enough to make your feet cold. I think you are younger than me.

davey25
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 10:49

Ok spray foam will probably be the easiest for me..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.