Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Frost Heaving Piers
Jimijames07
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 15:24 - Edited by: Jimijames07

Hi guys, I'm looking for some wisdom here. I have two shallow piers under my cabin that move up an inch or so in December and drop back down to their original position once the frost is gone. The guy that did the work for swears up and down that he pinned both to bedrock.

He's presuming that the bedrock was probably just a boulder with water getting under it, resulting in frost heave. He's implying this is not his problem, but mine and he'll want to charge me to redo.

My problem is he hasn't offered up any suggestions as to how he is going to fix this, so needless to say, I'm not to inclined to use him.

I was going to excavate around both piers in the spring, but what am I looking for? How do I know if I'm on bedrock?

My cabin is located in Parry Sound, Ontario, where there lots of snow and crazy cold temps.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanksguys.

old243
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 17:37

Jim, we had the same probem at our hunt camp near commanda . Our deck was pinned into the rock. heaved almost 6 inches but stayed up. We dug it out this fall Put in a barrel on the rock, filled it with 2 inch stone. Then filled the area around it with 2 inch stone In this we had a 4 inch big o drain pipe , took this out to grade, and filled around It with stone . Our problem is we are on a side hill, the rock is fairly shallow. The water was draining to the pier, and the frost was getting a hold on the pier and heaving it. We have a 6 x 6 pt leg on our deck it is mounted on top of the barrel . Will know if this cured our problem in the spring. Take a bar and drive it down you will know when you hit bedrock. Hope this helps old 243

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 17:56

When a post heaves it is most often a pinch and lift in the top foot, not from underneath.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 21:35

Dig around it and add gravel, you might have to dig under it and set in gravel, they have to get a pier with the adjustment screw to square it up after the soil and rock settle. I'd use a crushed rock.

beachman
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 10:31

What Owen says is correct. Try a slide pole around the post that will move up and down with the frost.

morock
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 20:38

I have plastic sleeves on my metal piers and they work well, but I am trying some 4 inch sytrofoam to keep the frost out completely. You can get used pieces cheap from recyclers, just lay down - no frost no problem.

Jimijames07
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 21:05

Great ideas...thanks guys!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.