Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 20x36 cabin in Maine
Thelar
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 21:13 - Edited by: Thelar

Hello,

We have a 20x36 lakefront cabin in central Maine that we bought a few years ago. The cabin was built on cement blocks. We had a cabin leveler come in last year and remove the blocks and add 6x6 posts with cross bracing on top of 24" holes filled with crushed stone and topped with engineered concrete cookies.

This year we had several contractors give us estimates for an attached deck. One contractor was going to dig 48" holes and pour concrete footers for the deck and the other was going to build the deck without footers.

So here is the question...since the cabin is floating should the deck be attached to concrete footers? Does anyone have any experience with this type of construction?
P1015932.JPG
P1015932.JPG
P1015665.JPG
P1015665.JPG

Shadyacres
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 21:46

Hello, If it were mine I would do the same type footers for the deck as the cabin has. Welcome to cabin forum

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 08:28 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: mrhayes
Hello, If it were mine I would do the same type footers for the deck as the cabin has. Welcome to cabin forum

x 2 I would as well

welcome to small cabin....

BTW~~my northern camp is central Maine....beautiful country up that way!!! and mighty cold right now!!!!!!!

rockies
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 16:58

You could try using technopost metal post screws.
http://www.technometalpost.com/en/home/
They come with a frost sleeve so that any ground movement can be accomodated for in winter, and if you had one placed at the four corners the deck could be kept free from the cabin. There are dealers located all over Canada and the US.

Thelar
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 20:35 - Edited by: Thelar

Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome. The reason for attaching the deck to the cabin is some of the deck will be covered and screened in.

turkeyhunter - our camp is in Lincoln, about 50 miles north of Bangor. Where abouts is your camp at?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 20:57

about 50 miles northwest of Bangor....near the Moosehead Trail....

sarndt
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 22:46

Attach the deck to the structure but keep the footings the same as the structure. Otherwise you will have a structure that moves and a deck that does not- separation will show and it will never settle the same.
If its solid keep it all solid. If it floats let it all float.

beachman
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 18:09

Thelar, Welcome to the site. I agree with the general postings about staying consistent with the main structure. Let it all float and adjust it here and there every ten years or so. Lincoln is a town I am very familiar with. My favorite hardware store is right downtown. It's about 2 hrs from my camp in NB.

metoo
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 19:00

beachman where in NB is your cabin....I am on an Island, and can see Maine and NB from my lot.
I am planning on replacing my log cabin in the spring with a new structure....just not sure of the best way to support it.

beachman
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 21:02

Metoo - our camp is on big lake Mac (Magaguadavic) in between Harvey Station and McAdam. Yours sounds like Deer Island.

beachman
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 21:09

Metoo - I was tormented for a while about the foundation. There are a lot of buried boulders on the property with sand and a little clay, but the older camp never moved much and it was built 60+ years ago and sat on large stones. We scraped away the soft soil down about 3 or 4 inches and placed cement blocks for our beams to rest on - about 6 or 7 feet apart along the sides and along the middle beam. The camp has not moved at all in two years. I have heard to either go down below the frost line, or just set it on the surface.

metoo
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 21:28

beachman-I am 5 miles from Mcadam, Spednic Lake.

This camp is 70+ years old and in the spring the water is very close to the structure, at this point the camp structure is compromised and I have decided to build a new camp.
I mysekf have entertained the idea of a layer of crushed stone, then sidewalk blocks, then deck blocks to support the structure.
I have included a picture of what I would like to build....facing SE, looking down the lake.
Old Camp
Old Camp
New Camp
New Camp

beachman
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 17:42

Metoo,

We are hi-jacking Thelar's site, but Spednick is very close. Too bad about the old camp, but sometimes things have to go. Your new concept looks awesome. How do they work the border there? Do you carry a passport when boating?

Thelar, there are so many neat lakes in the Lincoln area. In going through town years ago, I never realized that there were lakes until the building at the corner of Main St. and Rt 6 was removed, revealing the lake right in town. Very nice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.