Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Chinking. Fibers?
OutsideFun1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 10:09

I constructed a small log cabin a couple years ago and the chinking recipe I used was something like: 1 part Portland Cement, 3 parts Sand, and .5 part Lime.

I know that adding fibers to the mixture will make it much stronger and help prolong the chinking's lifespan.

My question is, does anyone have experience with adding fibers to their chinking recipe? What fibers did you use? I'm having trouble finding information on which fibers are best.

Every once in a while I've heard of people adding fiberglass fibers to the mix. I figure this is probably the best material to use. Does this mean I could just use the fibers from fiberglass insulation?

Any helpful info would be much appreciated!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 10:31

My dad and I built one years ago, we used jsut cedar back, its stringy, and we used nothing else, just packed it in tight. But we also fitted all the logs real tight too. I think cedar bark would give you good strenth, but how about fiberglass threads, like they use in fiber reinforced concrete???

OutsideFun1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 11:18

Fiberglass threads! Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Can you buy fiberglass threads in different sizes?

I'm not even sure what form they come in. In a bundle? On a spool? In a swath?

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 12:58

They sell bags of fiber reinforcement for addition to any stucco or concrete mix. Should be available at any stucco supply, maybe at home centers. Just be sure you don't add too much, since you are making small batches you'll need to do the math to scale down your proportions.

PatrickH
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 13:12 - Edited by: PatrickH

I use fibers in my concrete countertops, here's where I get themURL

OutsideFun1
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 13:02

Okay thanks! Now I just need to figure out the ratio...

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 15:22 - Edited by: Malamute

I'd suggest a different mix. That's probably pretty crumbly compared to other types. I've removed basic mortar chinking, its really easy to get out. I don't know that the fibres themselves will radically change it.

The old "new high tech" chinking before the current crop of rubbery types came out was 1 part Portland cement, 2 parts gypsum plaster, and 3 parts coarse sawdust (like chain saw sawdust). It sets up fast, don't try to make too much at once, and is very difficult and tenacious to remove compared to mortar chinking. Its very difficult to remove from your tools also if you don't clean them very promptly.

This mixture forms tiny hairline cracks, but it doesn't seem to affect its holding ability. Most of the cabins at a place called Old Trail Town used this chinking when they were restored, the chinking has held up very well over many years (20+ years, maybe 30). The owner was the one that gave me the formula.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.