Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How Many Trusses Would I Need For 12x60 Mobile Home Trailer
tnt
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 14:28

Hi I have a 12 X 60 800sqft mobile home trailer it has a flat roof now but want a peaked roof how many trusses should I order thanks

Just
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 14:48

I did one 2o years ago. I used 24 in. centers, it is still standing.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 14:51

I think this presents some significant difficulties. First, will the mobile home trailer walls support the weight of this new roof assembly you plan to put on it? Mobile homes are not known for being made any stronger than what is needed to support the basic design, now you are adding a second roof. I'd want some kind of engineering confirmation that this can work before I'd proceed.

A truss company can design and build trusses for you, probably fairly cheaply.

But so long as you are not dealing with a snow load, you could design them yourself out of 2x3s, and space them 24 inches, and cover them with 3/8 plywood. Use hurricane ties at every rafter to tie it to the trailer.

It's a good idea to keep such a trailer under a roof because they are notorious for leaking and water damage. Have you considered supporting the roof on the ground rather than on the trailer itself?

old243
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 15:56

I have seen smaller trailers, with a truss roof built over It like a pole barn. Probably 6x6 , every 8 feet. The trusses don't touch the trailer. You could if you wanted buy longer trusses , and extend an additional 12 feet, or any distance. and enclose part or all of the overhang, or cover a deck, parking area etc.Lots of possibilities depends what you want, or need. Old 243

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 17:15

I would much prefer to build a new roof as an independent pole barn structure with solid footings than attaching anything directly to the existing mobile home.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.