Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Material for our new patio
Anobium punctatum
# Posted: 15 Jan 2014 08:12

Hey everybody,

we are planning to build a new patio after the "renovation" of the lovely cottage is finished. I am not experienced with DIY, which material is suitable etc...
What material (i.e. wood / (interlock) paver) can you recommend and how would you clean it? We want to think about the cleaning in advance

Thanks in advance!

Ben

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Jan 2014 08:39 - Edited by: bldginsp

Pavers will only work, obviously, if you have a flat level surface to put them on. They take a fair amount of work, but so does making a wood deck, and wood will eventually need to be replaced.

One issue with cleaning is how the material you choose absorbs spilled liquids. When Trex plastic decking first came out, people soon found out that it was porous and stained from spills like wine. I think the plastic decking they have now is less porous and this is less an issue, but I'd look into it if I considered this type of material. Plastic decking will last a long time, but usually what rots first is the wood substructure, not the decking, so the advantage to the plastic decking is its uniform appearance and failure to crack and split with sun exposure.

Pavers can be blown or swept off like a deck, but you'll have sand between the pavers and until that settles you may track a bit of it into the house. Also they are porous and will stain. Pavers used in parking lots get oil stains from cars which looks bad.

A wood deck can be sealed periodically to avoid stains, and some dirt will fall between the cracks, making it easier to clean I suppose.

I'd consider pavers because they last a long time. Also, where fire is an issue, wood decks are kindling to ignite your larger building. This is only an issue in the West where we have nasty wild fires.

I'm going to use a gravel patio surface. Inexpensive, gradually gets tamped down by lots of feet, but is messy when it rains and not a uniform surface that can be blown, swept, or washed. I rake off the pine needles.

Flagstone, or other large flat stones, make a nice patio but are difficult to install well and the surface is somewhat un-uniform.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.