Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building without power tools - speedwrench/brace for installing roofing
SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 18:23 - Edited by: SubArcticGuy

I am building a cabin and am trying to do so without the use of a generator/power tools. I will be installing a steel roof and I was contemplating using a brace or speedwrench to drive the roof bolts. I will be doing the roofing in the winter so my cordless driver is not going to do very well. I use the craftsman 19.2v system but I replaced all my batteries a year or two ago and they are already nearly toast and I am not prepared to spend hundreds on new batteries again.

Has anybody used handtools to install metal roofing? Suggestions? Should I be trying to track down a generator?

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_4054_0.html

Gregjman
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 18:32

If your not installing a hidden fastener type metal roof can you use metal roofing nails with the rubber gasket under the head?

http://www.mazelumber.com/catalog/catalog.pl?page=PAGE22&group=SIL

Maybe you're talking about something else,? in which case, never mind the nail suggestion

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 21:00

The guy I hired to do my metal roof did it by hand with hand shears. I have no power there and he came in after I had the shell done and felt on, wasnt leaving my generator for him. It turned out perfect. He was a roof contractor by trade. The cuts on the ends are not noticeable as its all hidden under flashing. But he used many screws and it will be very labor intensive if you dont have a screw gun. Make sure all this screws are perfectly aligned up. I mean up and down and across. Straight line. I ts really noticeable and look awful as you see it from a distance. He must of used some sort of jig to locate all those screws so perfectly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.