Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood burning stove & underpinning Opinions
Weekend Hillbilly
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 17:13

I am looking for a good wood burning stove with a glass front door that will heat approximately 400 square feet + the loft. Many brands and opinions. I am looking for good quality and functionality. What do you recommend?

I am also needing to underpin the cabin. The distance between the bottom of the floor joist and the ground varies between 20" and 30". What materials is the best for a 16' x 24' cabin with T111 siding?

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 17:52

My stove recommendation is a Morso 'Squirrel' model 1410. It's rated for up to 1000 sq. feet, has glass door, EPA certified, very well constructed. You'll get a lot of other opinions here as well. Many here think that having both a small woodstove and a direct vent propane heater with thermostat is best, since a small woodstove won't hold enough wood to burn overnight and in spring and fall you only need a little heat and a stove is too much.

What do you mean by 'underpin the cabin'? Add piers/supports? Add more joists to support the woodstove? Please clarify.

Weekend Hillbilly
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 18:13

The two projects are not related. The bottom of the cabin is currently open. I am planning to insulate the bottom of the cabin and put underpinning around the perimeter of the outside of the cabin. This will help keep the cold drafts from my floor and is required by our insurance company.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 21:09

I was faced with how to close off the spaces between piers on my two sheds to keep the critters out. Didn't want to use wood against the earth because it would rot eventually, even if treated. I ended up installing a skirt of metal roofing around the perimeter, in the dirt a few inches. Will eventually corrode but is fire resistive and not too hard to replace.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 19 Jan 2014 08:52

Quoting: bldginsp
I was faced with how to close off the spaces between piers on my two sheds to keep the critters out. Didn't want to use wood against the earth because it would rot eventually, even if treated. I ended up installing a skirt of metal roofing around the perimeter, in the dirt a few inches. Will eventually corrode but is fire resistive and not too hard to replace.

Could you share a picture of how you closed in the bottom of your cabin? We are trying to decide how to do that on ours. Thanks.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Jan 2014 12:44 - Edited by: bldginsp

Hello BaconCreek-

I used this on sheds, could be adapted to a cabin.

You could just run metal siding down into the dirt, but then when it eventually needs to be replaced you have to replace the entire siding. With this setup the bottom skirt can be replaced fairly easily.

The picture here shows piers for the post footings, not a continuous spread footing
skirt_detail_pdf.pdfAttached file: Skirt Detail

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.