Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Any cordwood cabin builders?
tnky03
# Posted: 20 Jan 2014 19:54

My daughter and her family plan to build a cordwood home on a section of our land this year. She has done a lot of research but I wondered if anyone here has actual experience. It would be nice to learn of pitfalls to avoid or get advice from someone with experience. They plan a round structure, 40 ft. across center.

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Jan 2014 21:02

Dry the wood as long as possible and remove all the bark.

Throughwall or MIM (insulation layer in middle) ? What species wood to be used?

tnky03
# Posted: 21 Jan 2014 15:34

They plan on using mostly cedar, I believe. Outer walls will be 12 ins. thick. They have access to wood that was cut last summer. Is a year long enough for it to dry out well or season?

Just
# Posted: 21 Jan 2014 16:25

Quoting: tnky03
Is a year long enough for it to dry out well or

if piled well with lots of air movement and maybe a roof over it ,,,two would be better !!

tnky03
# Posted: 21 Jan 2014 18:17

Tks, I will pass this on.

Nirky
# Posted: 23 Jan 2014 21:44

The one advantage of a cordwood structure is that it says no to a driveby shooting or stray hunter's bullet with a capital N.

tnky03
# Posted: 24 Jan 2014 13:02

I suppose so, lol. It seems to make good sense from a money standpoint due to no need for insulation, inside wall covering and little framing, other than ceiling. I am amazed that my 30 something daughter wants to venture "outside the box", so to speak. They plan to start out with some solar, a large generator, and either dig a well or pump from a spring not too far away. I am proud of her pioneering spirit and desire to be more self sufficient. Sorry, maybe I'm a bit off for this building topicĀ 

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.