Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 2x4 vs 2x6 walls
saskboy
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 22:20

I am making a 12 by 16 foot cabin with a small loft hanging 4 feet off the front. Built on 4 6x6 fir skids. Will be pulling into bush with tractor either on dollies or pulling just on skids. Is it worth the extra cash to use 2x6 for strength or just stick with 2x4? Heard 2x4 is prob just fine, im not worried about keeping the place warmer. I think the wood stove will cook me out for the most part anyway.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 22:34

2x6 are usually used for the extra depth for insulation. 2x4 walls are strong enough as structural members.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Jan 2014 22:52

The strength will depend primarily on your lateral bracing. If you are going to drag it around, you want the walls rigid. You didn't say, but in case you weren't planning to use plywood on the outside walls, I think you should, and space the nails around the edges at 4" or so to make a very rigid box.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 Jan 2014 08:09

These two know. Like they said, plywood sheathing for or under the siding is key, and lapping it over the side of the floor is important.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.