Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Green T & G pine vs kiln dried
Shadyacres
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 23:20

Has anyone tried green T & G and how did it work out for you ? I can get 10 ft 1 X 6 green for $2.85 and the kiln dried is $4.25 . I thought about buying some of both and letting the green set for a few months in my garage.

wirivercabin
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 23:43

Green? yikes it would have to be inside the space you plan to use it and much longer than months.

My Kiln dried and pre finished even shrunk in the second season.

Wood shrinks more than you think. Green the T would pull right out of the G, you will have gaps IMO

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 00:46

I bet that if you have the time, and sticker it up in your garage, that in a few months it will have lost enough moisture that it won't shrink terribly.

If you don't know this already, you need to sticker it, meaning stack it with sticks between so air can circulate. Otherwise it won't dry and could mold.

One problem with dry wood is that it can expand, and if you don't have any gaps between, it can buckle.

At the price difference you are looking at, I'd definitely get green and dry it, if you have the time and the space. Put a dehumidifier in your garage and you have your own kiln, of sorts.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 06:10

bldginsp , that is what I was thinking. I actually have my wood stove next to my garage and it stays fairly warm in there. I actually have some hickory stickered right now drying. I was wandering if the wood would get rougher on the face as it dries also. I don't want to have to sand it or anything once it dries. Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 10:23

Drying it won't make it rougher. It might cup, warp or twist a bit. If the wood is milled after they kiln dried it, the milling happens after any movement from drying. So you might have to toss a few sticks that go nuts. Probably not many. Good luck.

old243
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 10:32

I have portable mill. A fresh green 12 inch board will shrink about 1/4 inch, in width. If you have access to a moisture tester, see what the present moisture content is . Around here our outside moisture will stabalize about 13%. I would think the inside of your camp not heated would likely be in that range. Heated all the time would be lower.
If you try to dry it down too far , even stickered . You will start to get twisting, cupping of boards . Depending where they were sawed out of the log. I would keep an eye on it. If it starts to move , get it installed. !/8 inch of shrinkage , won't affect tongue and groove .nailed on the tongue side it will finish drying on the wall, and can move as your inside humidity changes. After a few months you can put your finish on it.

Old243

wirivercabin
# Posted: 3 Feb 2014 11:58

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/shrink_table.htm

creeky
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 08:18

wrapping the wood pile loosely with a tarp and then putting a fan at one end can speed the dry process up. if you have a wood stove in your garage the air will be pretty dry. you should get great results.

portable wood mill. nice.

old243
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 15:11

I have a mill, kiln,and my son has a shaper. I don't do a lot of cutting any more. Really nice to get a a log and imagine what you will see as far as grain, color as you take the boards off. After a while you get to know pretty well what is there . Still a lot like opening a Christmas present. I like to cut pine that has been winter cut and quite often frozen. This gives you nice white lumber that the cabinet makers like.. I sticker it for a while in a covered shed. Then like to get it in the kiln before the heat hits it in the spring. This would cause blue and brown fungus growth, and staining. I take the moisture content down to 6% . After climatizing a bit it is ready , for projects. Hard maple is another that has to be handled early to avoid staining. I am retired so treat this mostly as a hobby now.
Sorry to have run on a bit about this, hope it is interesting to the board
old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.