Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / WaterCop vs Flo-N-Stop
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 13:58

I'm planning to add a remote water cutoff feature at my cabin. I have a Nest thermostat to set and monitor temperature at the cabin for both home and away settings. However, my concern is with power outages during the cold. The WaterCop seems to be one of the more popular water cutoff solutions, but it doesn't work if there is a power outage, it gets cold and pipes freeze. The Flo-N-Stop requires power for the ball joint to stay open. As soon as it loses power, the device releases which causes the spring-activated ball joint to close. Thus no concern of a pipe bursting somewhere in the house and the ensuing water damage. Has anyone here used either one and can comment?

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 16:16 - Edited by: MtnDon

I'm probably misunderstanding something, but I fail to see the advantage to using either. Am I right in assuming that as long as there is power to the cabin there is also heating that keeps the temperature inside above freezing. So if the pipes still have water in them and the power fails for long enough, the pipes freeze, maybe get a crack or maybe a fixture cracks. Even if the device turns off the water you still have potential damage to pipes or fixtures. Shower or any mixer faucets are very prone to freeze damage, BTW. Well, I guess the advantage to one of those devices is the water won't run all over after the frozen pipes/fixtures thaw out. It's only a band aid to me though. If a freeze and power outage coincide with a winter snow storm you might have difficulty getting there to start up any backup heating might be there.

What don't I understand?

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 16:29

Good questions. This is helping me talk out some scenarios. Without the Flo-N-Stop, if power goes out, the heat stops working, and eventually pipe freezes and bursts. My concern was that water would continue flowing, but during the power outage, my well pump wouldn't work either. So in both scenarios, its just the water in the line that leaks all over. However, without the Flo-N-Stop, once power comes back on, the well pump starts pumping water through the system and flooding everything. With the Flo-N-Stop, once triggered by a power outage or a leak detection, there's a remote to 'reset' the system so that water flows again.

My cabin is less than an 1.5 hours away, so I do go out frequently (preferably every weekend), so it would be a hassle to winterize the plumbing at the end of every weekend.

I'm always open to other ideas...

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 17:46 - Edited by: MtnDon

Leave the well pump turned off?
No power to pump = no water being pumped to anything.
Things could still freeze if the power goes off, but no pump = no leaks while you are away.

We don't leave the water turned on anywhere if we plan on being away overnight. We've had 2 water leaks due to faulty materials (PB pipe). We had good insurance too fortunately but the hassle of the whole ordeal was the big annoying thing.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 21:21

I could run the power for the pump through a Belkin Wemo device so I can remotely turn it on/off from my iPhone. Also, using the free website service IFTTT.com, I can set rules for the Belkin Wemo to automatically cut off if the weather drops below a certain temperature.

Side Note:
I'm aware that some people may not like all my use of technology at the cabin (Nest thermostats, Wemo switches, etc) at the cabin (in that it defeats "getting away from it all"). However, because my cabin is relatively close to home (~68 miles, door to door), I frequently go out just for a day. So rather than spending my time opening and closing up the cabin each time I visit, I wanted to automate as many of those tasks as possible, so I can spend more time just enjoying the cabin. That, and all the surveillance cameras I have set up around the cabin, give me "piece of mind" while I'm away, so I know that my cabin will be ready for me to go "clear my mind".

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 22:02

At 66 miles door to door we are about the same distance as you. I too like the possibilities that techno gadgets offer us. However I am also a 'registered skinflint' in some respects. As such I often find I'd rather save the cash for something else I might want more.

As we used to say way back when... different strokes for different folks.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 6 Feb 2014 12:10 - Edited by: hueyjazz

You could do this by having two electric soleniod water valves. One the is normally open when energized and one that is noramally closed when energized. When the power goes out have the one that is normally closed when energized go to an open port that would drain off the system water.
I agree that turning off the pump every time you leave is a prudent idea.
I can also tell from years of experience with solenoid valves is that they need to be excercised every now or then or else they always fail when you need them most.
I would fret about using technology at your cabin. It is your cabin and maximizing good times at the cabin takes precedent.
I have the NEST thermostat in my home. Love it and I know it is saving me cash.

Nirky
# Posted: 6 Feb 2014 15:21

Love the technology, what it can allow us to do remotely. As an added layer of protection, I'd recommend future cabin builders to do their plumbing with PEX tubing. Even if a solenoid fails or you forget to turn a pump on & the water freezes, the pipe will not burst.

Gadget1
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 16:25

I have a flo-n-stop and it works really well.
The solenoid valve has a manual override knob so the valve can be manually controlled without power

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.