Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Trying to build inexpensive cabin, need ideas for walls and roof.
Patuck Benhorn
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 12:59

We have already built the floor, now we are looking to build the walls and roof. What are some in expensive options?
This is just a weekend project that some friends and I will cabin will use to go camping in about once a month.

I've attached a picture of what we have so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 13:27

Canvas wall tent

Just
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 14:01

2x4 walls standard stud wall 16 in. on centers covered with exterior grade plywood painted or stained ,or prefinished structual panels for the walls . roof depends how big the cabin is . but like the walls a single skin ply wood covered with shingals is the cheapest in the short term

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 14:41

2 x 4 walls....plywood and paint the heck out of it....a shed roof system and some metal /for the roof...check craigs list for materials and metal new or used....I saw some the other day 1 buck a foot....it was a odd color..
Hurry up and get it in the dry!!!

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 14:45

Yep, seriously now, like Just stated; 2x4 walls are cheapest though 2x6 do allow for more insulation, which can be handy summer or winter. For a roof a simple gable style with sheathing, weather barrier and shingles will get you going cheapest; or maybe a shed roof. Planning on a loft or not? That brings a variety of things to be considered into the question.

An observation about what is pictured. You have no rim joists installed. Those should have been nailed to the floor joist ends before the decking / subfloor was installed. Rim joists help keep the joists upright and in place. Then with the subfloor nailed to the floor joists and the rim joists it becomes a more solid diaphragm, able to resist whatever the winds throw at you.

Then the bottom plate of the walls gets nailed to the floor joist ends and to the rim joist. That ties the walls to the floor better.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 16:43

I once saw a guy who built a shed out of old pallets - stacked on end two high. The shed has stood the test of time - has been standing for more than six years here in New Brunswick - has taken lots of snow loads and wind. Not sure how he did it but probably could google it. Used trusses from a mobile or mini home off Kijiji or Craig list if you are in the US. Tonnes of suitable used building materails out there. I have got some from the Renew Store (Habitat for Humanity). Good luck and happy hunting (and put the rim joists on regardless of how it looks - will really help support your walls!

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 21:28

The cheapest way to build is often a function of what you can find that is cheap.

If there is a woodcutter in your area with a mill you might get your 2x4s cheaper than at the lumber yard, and you might get better quality, but it might be rough sawn.

If you have ready access to a large supply of cheap boards, say downgrades from the local mill, maybe your cheapest siding is board and bat. Let in braces are adequate for support unless you have extreme loads. End result- no plywood.

But if you have to buy at the yard, 2x4 and plywood is cheapest like the other posters recommended

Just
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 22:51

Quoting: bldginsp
your cheapest siding is board and bat

I once sided a 8 x 12 shed in board and baton" willow " ,all cut from one tree that no one wanted , it had 4 , 9ft logs in it and cost me 40$ to get cut , gave it 3 good coats of paint and it"s still there!! It was a garden shed but ......

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.