Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / foundation questions
crowbird
# Posted: 30 Mar 2010 16:15

i am designing a 12x16 cabin on pretty flat ground....i want to use pier blocks for my foundation...i plan to dig holes and lay gravel for drainage and stability...
1.im having a hard time deciding between using the 4waydek blocks or regular pier blocks..which is easier and will still be strong...
2.i know i space them along the l6' side of the cabin 4' apart..do i also put them under the cabin and along the 12'side...
3. how far apart do i put the two lines of blocks if the cabin is 16'x12' and there is a overhang when it comes to the joist framing
thanks

larry
# Posted: 30 Mar 2010 22:10

your perimeter boards should be a doubled 2x8 or 2x10 because they will be carrying the weight of the cabin when you connect the joists. so the question is do the blocks accommodate the with of the doubled 2x8? and remember the longer the span the bigger the the lumber size. my cabin is 12x32 framed with 2x10 joists and the joists span 12' without support but on the perimeter the supports are 8' apart
0508091938.jpg
0508091938.jpg
0508091939.jpg
0508091939.jpg

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 4 Apr 2010 02:03

For a 12x16 cabin I'd use 4 piers on each 16' side. If you will have a structural ridge beam then you should also have a pier under each support post, which would mean one in the middle of each 12' side.

You could inset the two side beams by half a foot or so if you want to be able to skirt over the piers. But the ones supporting the roof beam, if you have one, should be kept in line with the loads they are supporting.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.