Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Barn Siding Interior-Vertical or Horizontal?
rmak
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 09:27

Not a heavy duty construction question, but one I'm pondering on since that's the next step.

I started to face my cabin interior with tongue and groove barn siding with the V groove in the middle.

I can't decide if I want this interior siding to run vertically or horizontally.

Vertically, it might make the inside look taller, also I can do it with less waste since the walls are near 8 feet.

Horizontally, it would match the exterior log siding and look more "loggy". Going this way would be a little more expensive since they are odd lengths.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

old243
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 10:18

I did a room in t&g pine a few years ago. I did it like wain scotting . With a chair rail at about 3 feet. This was verticle. Above this ,I have The t&g on about a 30 degree angle. . I did the chair rail in cherry , to give colour contrast . Ceiling is T&G as well. I have a router and shaper so was able to make some trim pieces to suit. It all depends how much work you want to go to. Did the pine natural with urethane finish. It has darkened down as it aged . makes the pine knots stand out, in color. Have fun with your project Old243

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 10:54 - Edited by: bldginsp

I think that in a small cabin horizontal is better to give it a less confined look.

There's some basic dressing advice that women get that is kind of relevant here. Tall women are advised not to wear vertical stripes because it makes them look taller and skinnier. Short, 'rounder' women are advised not to wear horizontal stripes because, well, you see where this is going. If I state it explicitly I might get into trouble (again).

So anyway I think vertical just makes a small space look smaller, whereas horizontal boards will make the place look fatter, larger, or at least not emphasize the smallness.

Perhaps we should ask Pierre Cardin.

From a practical perspective, if you go vertical you have to instal blocking to have something to nail to which is an extra step. With horizontal you might think you have to cut the pieces off so joints always fall on studs, but if you have T+G I don't think that's necessary.

Just
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 11:14

We have both , my wife doesn't like ether ,but if she had to chose she thinks vertical ,less dust in the joints ...
our cottage
our cottage
our home
our home

rmak
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 12:51

Quoting: Just
my wife doesn't like ether

I've put up a lot of real oak and poplar wainscoting in our century farmhouse over the years.

Now my wife wants to paint it all! It's the fashion. The "Cottage" look. She shows me the photos in magazines all the time. Real wood walls painted white. I keep telling her that things go in and out of fashion, but with wood, you will never go back to the pristine no paint appearance.

That's why I'm not sparing the cost of good interior wood. I love wood. After I get my cabin finished, she can paint everything in the house she wants.

Just
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 13:45

I have had the same problem but so far I have managed to use the same argument . not that I don't like painted wood but you can not 'go back' !!

beachman
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 13:55

Horizontal is easier as you do not have to strap the walls. Otherwise, it is your preference.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 11 Mar 2014 18:52

We went with a few sheetrock painted walls for contrast and relief from the wood. I can change paint colors, he gets his wood. Both happy! I like horizontal for thd log look. Just my druthers.

tichalet
# Posted: 11 Mar 2014 23:55

Horizontally installed planks painted white exactly as rmak's wife prefers is the look that's more on trend at the moment, and for the record I am with rmak's wife on this, probably since I am female and it seems to be a gender thing.

I tell ya, if there's no such thing already as a coating which makes it easier to remove all the white paint women are itching to slap all over the raw dark wood in men's cabins to turn them into cottages, somebody could make a fortune coming up with a formula for that.

rmak
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 10:23

Quoting: tichalet
women are itching to slap all over the raw dark wood in men's cabins to turn them into cottages,

Plus the fact that some women (Mrs. rmak for example) want us to do the painting!
Are you reading this, Diane?!

razmichael
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 10:51 - Edited by: razmichael

In my household this all started with Sara Richardson's TV project when she redid her cottage (and I use the term cottage very loosely). She whitewashed the wood siding and that is now how my wife wants to do ours (this spring when I put up the tongue and groove). I'm okay with it because we will leave a lot 'bare' wood as well for railings, in the loft etc (and I don't really have any choice anyway).

Quoting: rmak
Plus the fact that some women (Mrs. rmak for example) want us to do the painting!

Funny - sounds very familiar!

tichalet
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 13:41

@razmichael: Yep. Whitewashing is exactly what my mom did to the wood walls in the family cabin to make it less mancave-ish.

They used to call that "pickling" and it's a good compromise because the menfolk seem to be reasonably happy as long as they can still see the grain.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.