Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 2" door slabs for flooring?
DuaneG
# Posted: 11 Mar 2014 13:53

Hi all.

I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading through the archives. You folks are incredibly helpful.

Anybody have any experience using door slabs as construction material?

I've scrounged 25 big (2" x 44" x 80") solid wood doors from a nursing home demolition. I plan to use 6 of them for walls to create a closet and small bathroom, but think they might be perfect for loft flooring. They're heavy, but the longest span would be 10'. Any thoughts?

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Mar 2014 14:07

I'd support them underneath every 40"

PatrickH
# Posted: 11 Mar 2014 17:49

I know a guy who does the same thing, uses doors for everything.Keep in mind the weight of the doors if you undersize the joists supporting the doors you could have a bad situation on your hands. A 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood weighs about 75 pounds those doors could be around 200 pounds each.

DuaneG
# Posted: 12 Mar 2014 22:48

Thanks--these are around 80 lbs (which surprised me). I was planning 20" joist spacing (got a truck load of 2 x 8 leftovers from an amusement park's latest wooden roller coaster).

The bathroom/closet walls and shelves are a little trickier. The image below shows the plan--the red and yellow are doors. Haven't figured out how to join them, but I'm thinking angle iron brackets would work and could look sort of cool, if done right.
closet-toilet-doors
closet-toilet-doors

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 15:16

I built a hunt cabin that was 12x18 out of old school doors for the floor with 16" oc floor joist and that was 21 years ago! Very solid.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.