Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / material estimator for 12x18 stick built shell
floridagramps
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 16:25

My dau asks that I build her a 12 x 18 writers retreat on california property.........no plumbing, no heat and no snow. I plan to build a wooden platform using PT 2x8 decked over w 1" T&G. This wooden deck to sit on solid concrete block on gravel beds then I erect my walls on this deck. I'll have 2 windows and door on one long wall and 2 windows on other long wall. Standard casement windows w screens.

Plan on 4/12 roof w asphalt shingles. 2x4 construction w T1-11
exterior siding. Any suggestions for estimating cost of materials for this shell?

Finishing interior is next year's problem.

Should I build my own roof trusses or have them fabricated? Much of a cost differential? I probabkly shoukd find a way to anchor it so it doesn't blow away in heavy winbds.

thanks

florida gramps and 3 grandson crew

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 16:56

Sketch out your design on a piece of paper and stop in or call your local lumber yard. They can estimate the material and costs for you.

-Brian

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 17:24

You'll need to make a list sometime, just get started and give the list to some lumber yards. A shell should cost about $2,200.

Owen

Mike 870
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 19:26

My dry in cost was $26 and change per square foot on my workshop, using all premium materials, on a pier foundation. I'd say you can be under $20 per square foot with T11.

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 22:28

Quoting: floridagramps
california property

Lots of regulations in that state. Not to say it is not possible to build under the radar there; I know of three places in the Sierras built without any permits. But CA does have a truckload of rules and regs and in much of the state pier foundations will not be passed.

floridagramps
# Posted: 24 Mar 2014 02:36

OwenChristensen
thanks for your $2200 estimate. I will take sketches to local lumberyard and get detialed costs

did you make your own roof trusses? How do they compare cost wise to pre fab trusses

thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.