Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / OSB board cabin floor question
xtolekbananx
# Posted: 4 Apr 2014 17:05

Can I paint OSB floor with Rust-Oleum Restore Deck?
I'm building a hunting cabin and I try to save money on flooring. I'm planning to do OSB board floor and paint it. Would be rust-oleum restore deck paint be good for that?

mongo1
# Posted: 4 Apr 2014 17:12

Not sure about that specific paint/stain but I just built a cabin last year and my plan for now is to paint my floor(which is osb)white with an exterior paint.I,m using exterior paint since we wear our boots in the cabin and I think it will hold up better.I,m using my spare money to build a porch on the cabin this spring

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2014 21:24

I'd use real plywood on the floor. Maybe OSB on the walls. I didnt use any OSB, but just my personal preference. I'd avoid any OSB on something that will get wet like a floor, ie coming in wet from hunting etc. or moisture from the underside. It swells and gets spongy.

Don_P
# Posted: 4 Apr 2014 22:13

I used to have to remove and replace sheets of delaminated plywood subfloor pretty regularly after dry in. I've yet to lose a sheet of Advantech OSB. If it is a slow build like a log home or an owner build we've often used mismixed oil based paint right after sheathing the floor. In several sheds I've gotten porch floor or garage floor paint and it works well. We did use white on one floor and it took sunglasses on bright days, it'd reflect enough light to really annoy your eyes by the end of the day

mongo1
# Posted: 5 Apr 2014 19:49

Right on Don p,
The advantech OSB is some tough stuff.My floor only got wet twice before it was trussed and shingled but I helped a friend build a log cabin last summer and he had the worst luck for rain.I don,t know how many times we broomed the pond out the front and back doors before it got weatherproofed but it was a test for sure and the Advantech held up great.Little more money than regular 3/4 T/G osb flooring but worth it.

PatrickH
# Posted: 5 Apr 2014 21:23

Don- I've sawn through sheets of plywood and the layers where never even laminated, happened to me several times. I've had this happen even on some premium plywood.But about the rust-oleum I've only seen it on videos but it looked like there was a grit in it. I accidently painted a floor with some gritty paint once and that stunk. But it looks like a tough product. What about just stain and poly. You can put lots of coats on and its super durable there is a wool applicator you can get and just mop it on works great.

swampshaman
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 11:56

I just saw picturesof a cabin floor that was osb,stained and polyurathened. I think it was on this site? The floor looked beautiful,I was really surprised how good it looked.

swampshaman
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 12:02

search osb floors on this site and you will find lots of ideas for what you want to do.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 13:29

Something to consider: OSB toxins

http://greenhomeguide.com/askapro/question/we-have-osb-that-says-it-doesn-t-use-urea- formaldehyde-but-it-still-has-a-strong-odor-i-am-wondering-if-it-is-safe

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 14:01

You mention OSB and some people were saying Advantech OSB. There is a lot of difference between the two. I used the Advantech T & G and that appears to be some really tough stuff and also says lifetime guarantee. ( Don't know about that ) I do know regular OSB will not hold up if it gets wet or even damp.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.