Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / installing a plank wall
swampshaman
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 11:49

Hi, Im getting ready to install knotty pine walls in the cabin.I've seen window/door trim on these walls installed prior to the actual planking and then the boards are butted to the trim.Ive also seen the trim installed on top of the planking.Is there any advantage to either method?Has anyone done this ,do you have any recommendations.Any thoughts would be appreciated

Truecabin
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 21:45

trim ontop of the planking is the normal way to trim a window or door

it depend where your at in the build do you have doors and windows installed?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 22:36

T&G "planks" or boards?? Installed directly over the wall studs?

Do the doors and windows have jambs that extend past the stud faces so the ends of the T&G will be covered? Or you can make jambs or jamb extensions that are sized to work. Then install the trim over the T&G and lapping the edge of the jambs.

swampshaman
# Posted: 8 Apr 2014 06:55

Im putting T&G boards put directly on the studs.the windows and doors are already installed and the jambs extend out about an inch.Im installing 6"-1/2" pine boards in a pickwick style(one edge of each board has a decorative moulding about 2" wide) horizontally.I was thinking of butting the ends to the window moulding which will be 4" by 1" pine boards, so that I dont end up with the gaps I would get under the moulding from the boards.(similar to the moulding used externally around the windows on the log siding)then I would trim out the window with some decorative trim work. Or , am I just over engineering this like I have a tendency to do with the cabin.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 19 Jul 2014 01:26

I knew a guy whose family had an old luxurious cabin that had unusual cedar shake exterior walls and rough plank horizontal interior walls with mortar / chink filler between the 12" or so boards. It looked great.

Sorry. No pictures. They sold it... Back in the late 80s their property taxes jumped to around $7 grand a year. ...I guess the tax assessor figured it really did look nicer than boring old drywall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.