Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Smart-siding question
Josh8880
# Posted: 1 May 2014 07:30

Hi all, I'm planning on using "smart siding" to side my 10' by 14' in NY. It is 2" by 6" framed, and at this point I'm planning on just wrapping the studs in tyvek, and attaching the smart siding. I like the price of the 3/8" (about $25/ sheet) in comparison to 33$ for the 3/4" . Should I save a few bucks, or go with the thicker sheet? Thanks, josh

Wilbour
# Posted: 1 May 2014 08:28

I am in the same boat. I was thinking of siding my 2 x4 framed 10 x 16 shed first with 1/4" OSB, then tyvek, then 3/8" SmartSide.

How does this sound?

creeky
# Posted: 1 May 2014 08:44

are either of you planning to insulate? you might want to tack up some insulation then side over that.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 May 2014 09:03

3/8 may be to thin for shear strength. I suspect 3/4" is overkill. How about 1/2" or 5/8"???? I suspect 1/2" will meet the specs unless you are a high wind load area.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 May 2014 09:48 - Edited by: MtnDon

Check the Smartside specs. There are different versions of Smartside with different series numbers/names. Not all have a structural rating. Some are only cosmetic and the building will need to be sheathed in OSB structural panels first.

~~~~~

1/4 OSB is not structural; use 3/8 min and I would not use less than 7/16. Do not drive nail head below the surface of the OSB

Wilbour
# Posted: 1 May 2014 10:34

creeky:

I will be insulating next year from the inside.

MtnDon:

7/16 OSB is only $0.50 more. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade I guess

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 May 2014 10:47 - Edited by: MtnDon

Wilbour, here's the nailing schedule...
TABLE R602.3(1) includes footnotes for exceptions

scroll about 2/5 down the page to... "Wood structural panels, subfloor, roof and interior wall sheathing to framing and particleboard wall sheathing to framing " .....
6d common (2" × 0.113") nail 6" along edges, 12" in the field

Josh8880
# Posted: 3 May 2014 06:58

Thanks for all of your input...it's always helpful here! I am planning on insulating. I just want to make sure I don't chince on something that might make a significant structural difference. I also want to avoid making a structural difference in my bank account if I can...I have two kids that can do that for me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.