Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / I'm going to have this guy build my next cabin...Mt Don, you will be in tears...
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 May 2014 22:41 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Mt Don, this will have you in stitches. And bld ins, would you please sign off on this. Its built over a wet area, so that explains the boards across the grass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=chuWQItCOb4

This is a real shed in Canada somewhere. I was on a forum when the guy was video taping construction from his upstairs window commenting on it. After the builder left, he would get close up of everything. It was so exciting to see the days progress while it was unfolding. He condensed it down to a few minutes (and added the little pot bellied nut job from N Korea in there) . But its all there in its glory.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 May 2014 22:49

I've seen that before (w/o the characters added) with some more images showing more of the interior, which was mainly shelving that matched the rest of the job. . IIRC, the redeeming factor is it really did appear to be shed or chicken roost and not a habitable building.

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 May 2014 23:02 - Edited by: bldginsp

Really amazing how the 'builder' managed to avoid every single basic precept of light frame construction. I saw this before too, and in all the photos I could find nothing compliant with codes or common practice.

Yeah sure I'll sign off on it, but only because I don't work in that jurisdiction. How much is my kickback?

Don_P
# Posted: 11 May 2014 08:09

During construction he had me nervous when he got on the roof but happily it took the load. He must have plumb tuckered out several angels.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 11 May 2014 20:50

WOW! That's about all there is to say about that mess. I may have made a bunch of framing mistakes on my cabin but at least I didn't bend any screws trying to drive them in with a hammer! LOL

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 May 2014 23:17

Yeah I've had trouble getting nails in with a screwdriver, Bzzzzzt!

Don_P
# Posted: 12 May 2014 07:37

I worked for the state parks one summer in my youth. Assigned to one of the old timers, we were working on a bath house. As he was driving screws with a hammer, "Harry, what are the threads for?" "Theys for getting them out".

rmak
# Posted: 14 May 2014 18:11

There's faulty construction practices even among "professionals". I remember many years ago paying my way through school as a laborer for a concrete company putting in sidewalks and curbs in the projects (low income housing). We'd watch the carpenters walking across the roofs and watching the roof sheeting flop up and down like waves on the ocean. Our boss would point out how they would just skip studs in the corners if it was close and they could get away with it.
I often thought about going back after all these years to see what condition these buildings were in, or if they are still standing.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 May 2014 21:38

I love that show Holmes on Homes, he is out of Ontario and one heck of a knowledgeable and good builder. he did a show last night, 8 yr old construction, corners cut deliberately, stuff that could be hid from an inspector. It was chilling.

ak_flyer
# Posted: 28 Jun 2014 03:47

An inch gap is acceptable, just use a longer nail!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.