Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What is the best wood for exposed interior studs and rafters
Hunterda98
# Posted: 17 May 2014 15:31

I plan to build my cabin with exposed studs and ceiling rafters. But I am not sure what wood to use? I like the look of cedar but it is very expensive. Or maybe Douglas fir. Any advice would be very welcome!

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 May 2014 16:10

You might consider talking to a local sawyer with a mill for cutting lumber out of logs. He might be able to suggest unusual local species that you will find attractive, and the cost of the lumber may be less than lumber yard prices.

Don_P
# Posted: 17 May 2014 16:45

If using rough sawn, the longer you can let it dry the better. Wood shrinks as it dries, generally the denser woods shrink more than the less dense species. Insects are also a factor. For instance I like working in tulip poplar and red oak but so do powderpost beetles... so I try to dip them in a borate solution right off the mill. Because I had trouble with them in the barn I decided to build the shop out of white pine to deter them, and that has worked... the carpenter bees appreciate the lack of competition. Hemlock is fairly resistant to both but tends to be shakey. White oak and locust are a good choice but be prepared to drill every fastener hole and they are mighty heavy. Dimensions also revolve around your choice of species, a weaker wood needs to be larger dimensioned, for instance cedar is pretty weak so to make a joist would require a larger stick than if it were made of dougfir. With exposed framing I prefer looking at T&G to osb or ply but the bracing needs to be considered.

Just
# Posted: 17 May 2014 19:10

Here I used 2 2x4 #2 spruce nailed together and stained brown before I raised them as rafters on 24 in centers . I used 5\4 x 12 barn pine as roof deck ,also stained it clear coat before it went up . I think it made for a nice look but to each there own .
kitchen
kitchen
kids
kids

Hunterda98
# Posted: 17 May 2014 22:46

Bldgsinsp: good idea. There is a sawmill a mile away. I'll ask them. But I worry about odd dimensions.

DonP: thanks. Hadn't started worrying about bugs yet, so thanks for that. I plan to do plywood for bracing reasons. I think will look ok. Like this cottage only not as fancy.

Just: wow. Very inspiring! Thanks.

Don_P
# Posted: 17 May 2014 23:32

T-1-11 is a sort of board looking plywood roof sheathing. Diagonally applied board sheathing also provides bracing.

To do something like Just's, this calc using 12"oc spacing would give the correct spans if you wanted to put a double rafter every 24"... and it lists multiple species.
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp

Just
# Posted: 18 May 2014 09:35

if you use plywood for roof decking remember the nails or roof screws will come trough unless its 1 in. thick

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.