Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 4x6 post support a 12x12 cabin?
CTucker
# Posted: 27 May 2014 12:34

Hello all my name is Chris from the Mo, and I have been lurking on this site for quite some time. I have a question about my foundation, perhaps someone with the time and knowledge could help me out. I am building a 12x12 camping cabin/playhouse on my farm. This building will only really be used a few times a year, so its not a permanent residence, and no utilities. I am not an experienced builder, and really I'm learning as I go along. Question is, will 4x6 post support this structure? I can only track down 4x6 foundation grade lumber. Was wanting to set the building on posts set on a concrete reinforced footer 3 to 4 feet down. 20 PSF, no loft, good draining soil...post will only be about 8" to 12" above grade. Was wanting to do 2 rows of post, with beams 1 foot in. Can I make this work, would rather drop a few extra post, then bring in even more bags of concrete for sono tubes. If those posts work, what would be the best beam size. 2- 2x10s? Anyway help is appreciated...been promising the kids a playhouse for awhile...plus I think its a great family project.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 May 2014 15:25

Yes, three or four per side should be fine. A double 2x10 beam on each side would be big enough for just three posts.

Nirky
# Posted: 27 May 2014 16:25

For such a small structure you might also consider laying down gravel and then setting the shed on skids, like (3) 4x8x12's, no other foundation needed.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 May 2014 19:00

Hay, that's what I normally say......The only thing is in an area where high winds might take your building away, anchoring them down to posts with a foot might be someone's wish.

CTucker
# Posted: 28 May 2014 09:12

Fast response, thanks. Yes, high winds are a concern. Hoping by putting posts in the ground and bracing all them that I will have a chance against any strong winds. I have read that concrete is a bad idea around posts, does this hold true for foundation grade lumber as well? Just thinking if I pour concrete around the post, that should also help hold it in place...but I don't want to speed up the rot. There is an old clubhouse on the farm that my great grandmother and her brother built as children...nice idea to think there is a chance this clubhouse could last awhile too. Thanks again.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 May 2014 15:02

One thing I do is notch the bottom corners of the 4x4 . Two or three on each corner on just the bottom 6''. Then set them into the hole and pour post cement around them , but just on the bottom foot. This will give a pretty good hold in a wind. As far as rot, cement against any wood where it's getting wet without drying out often can instigate rot. I don't think it a big problem under ground, as the treating lasts longer underground.

CTucker
# Posted: 30 May 2014 07:42

Thanks for the notching tip, never heard of that. I have read many great ideas on this site. Can't wait to break ground...soon as I get some time off work. Was wanting to take a weeks vacation, and get the cabin weather tight. Hopefully, and inexperienced builder and a few helpers could accomplish that. Thanks again everyone, I'm sure I'll ask more questions during the build, and will post my progress once I begin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.