Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation Support
rmak
# Posted: 8 Jun 2014 07:37 - Edited by: rmak

I found when we wanted to upgrade our 18 year old 12 X 16 cabin that the barn stones we built it on had allowed the cabin to shift, rise and sink over the years.

I posted a question here about retro fitting a new foundation and got plenty of good, creative suggestions. I also got some to just level the cabin and forget it.

While I liked the idea of not doing anything, I was going to build a deck anyhow so I decided to at least brace the cabin as best I could underneath after jacking and leveling.

It's not a foundation but I'm hoping it stabilizes the cabin somewhat in the future. I can quickly check the levels every spring and level if need be.

I planted 4X4's in concrete and slid treated boards under the structure, bolting them to the posts.

The weight is still on the barn stones, but this is added support. An added benefit is that I kept the excess board length where I will be building a little addition roofed box to store batteries, charger, inverter and generator to power the cabin.

I put in two supports like this at the front and back about 4 foot in from the ends on the 16 foot side. I wanted to put a third in the center, but couldn't work around the big barn stones in the middle of that expanse.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.