Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Plastic sheeting on the ground?
paulz
# Posted: 12 Jun 2014 01:01

Haven't been able to find any info on search. Is it a good idea to lay plastic sheet on the ground under a raised floor cabin? I live in a nice climate, no snow, average rain, ground flat under cabin. How about on top of floor joists but under plywood.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jun 2014 08:27

The idea sure is. I think though that the ground dries out under the cabin and makes little difference in the long run.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Jun 2014 08:56

On the ground, use the black stuff, also keep vegetation from growing too.

jclinton46
# Posted: 21 Jun 2014 21:04

My area has a high water table and clay soil. With an enclosed foundation plastic is necessary to mitigate moisture coming up from the ground. With good drainage pattern away from dwelling and lower water tables I agree that the ground would probably dry out and plastic not be necessary. But it sure is easier to put down before the cabin is built, if that is an option.

Press
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 14:05

We put down black plastic sheeting, and then gravel atop that, big help with mud and weeds especially in red clay soil and during construction.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.