Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Interesting carpentry question. Doors with log siding that can look good closed and can open
rmak
# Posted: 13 Jun 2014 16:30 - Edited by: rmak

That's a long title! I am building my cabin power box to hold generator on one side and batteries on the other. The battery side will be enclosed and insulated.

I want two doors that will open independently. One door on each side of the center studs.

I have enough log cabin siding to surround the small structure, but I can't visualize how to apply the hinges and siding so it will look good closed, and the doors will open properly.

Every time I imagine placing hinges in a certain way, the siding on the side will bump the siding on the door if I try to open. If I just gap the siding wide enough on the doors it will look goofy (maybe) and not be weather tight.

I know there must be a way, however I'm more of a wood butcher than a carpenter.

Maybe there's a type of hinge that would push the door out and around to avoid hitting the siding. I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any help. Here's a photo as she sits.

rmak
# Posted: 13 Jun 2014 17:21

Could this be what I'm looking for?
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=20201&gshop&gclid=CNLkpOXj974 CFcpcMgodUmMAeg

ColdFlame
# Posted: 13 Jun 2014 17:36

Could you not frame the openings, as well as the doors separately, and then "sheet" with your siding? Somewhat similar to this:

doors

Maybe I'm not understanding fully.

rmak
# Posted: 13 Jun 2014 17:48

I like it! Wasn't what I had in mind. But it looks good. I really like the cross buck effect.

If you don't understand it's my fault, not yours.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 09:15 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Couldn't you just trench out away from the cabin and have it separate, hidden with some landscaping also. Then it wouldn't have to match. At least if the heat caught it on fire for whatever reason, you wouldn't lose your cabin also.

rmak
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 10:59

Heat from what? I am going to leave an open area on one side for generator exhaust. I have been running the generator right next to the cabin for a few months now with no adverse side effects. Do batteries overheat?

Thanks for the thought. As you see, I'm kind of committed to this.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 22:27 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: rmak
Heat from what? I am going to leave an open area on one side for generator exhaust

Post deleted.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 Jun 2014 22:58

Hopefully I can add some input without anyone getting angry.....
My sister lives in S.FL after Andrew she returned to work at her office. Since there was no power they were relying on a generator. They had windows open and thought the generator was far enough away from the open windows. The wind changed direction blowing exhaust into the windows. They both got sick but got of the building before they passed out.

rmak
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 00:30

I got to say you mis-read my post Toyota! I know people mis-interpret comments on the internet, but you are way, way off base. I apologize if I didn't respond to your post clearly, but I was asking legitimate questions in what I thought was a respectful way. I even thanked you for your suggestion. If you check all of my posts you will find that I've always been friendly on the small cabin forum, and always ready to learn. I re-read my post and can hear no snipping or barking. Maybe we could agree to call it a misunderstanding and go on.

Like I said, I ran the generator for hours and it never felt hot. I appreciate your input and your concern for my safety. The question I asked about heat was a sincere one. I was intending to keep the door open when running and, like I said, keep the entire back open to exit the exhaust.

I asked on this site about protecting the generator from the rain and snow. Making a structure around it outside the cabin was the answer. No one mentioned it should be a separate structure away from the cabin until you. If I would have hear this suggestion before, I would have done it that way from the beginning. Do you genuinely think I would "scab" on a box like this if anyone before had told me not to?

You may have mis-understood my statement about committing to this addition. It was a light-hearted comment. I worked on it for a week. I guess I should have included a

The manual said never run the generator in an enclosed, occupied area due to fumes. Since I wasn't going to occupy this little side structure, I thought that met the requirement. Once again, I appreciate your and silverwaterlady's input. I certainly don't want anyone hurt. I honestly did run the generator right there in that spot with all the windows open and never got a hint of exhaust smell. My intent was to have a carbon monoxide alarm for the woodstove and any dangerous fumes related to heating and powering the cabin.

I can and will move the generator away.
How far away from the cabin is a safe distance for fumes? I do have to ask you, however. How am I going to protect it from rain and snow? How have others done it?

Batteries are another subject. Once again I asked here on the forum about where batteries should be located. It was suggested that they be outside the cabin in an insulated container. I was even shown similar boxes attached to cabins so I thought I was on firm ground. Where can I put batteries to power my cabin if not here? How far away should they be from the cabin itself so as to never put us in danger?

Had to laugh about you thinking the whole addition looking ugly. You might have a different opinion if you saw the finished product... Then again, maybe not. Even if I don't use it for the generator it will be a handy place to lock up tools and other stuff I don't want laying around inside the living space.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 01:29

IMO, generators should be as far away from the habitable building as possible. Reason = the dangers of CO. Ours is about 40 feet away from the windowless end of the cabin. When the generator runs I never get even a hint of exhaust odor even with all the cabin wondows open. However being in the shed, adjacent to the generator, I sometimes catch exhaust fumes. That is a "big deal". Investing in some large gauge wire to gain some space is a good idea.

Batteries should be outside of the habitable space. Period. In a hutch or whatever against the cabin wall is fine. Insulated? Depends on whether the cabin is full or part time, and whether or not use is in winter, IMO. Full time means every day discharge and discharge with the resulting heating that occurs. Part time means little heating effect while the system sits there doing nothing when the cabin is vacated. IMO, if it is part time use forget about the insulation. Just have sufficient battery capacity and make sure the batteries are not discharged enough to endanger freezing in winter.

Is there solar? If not how do the batteries keep "full" to prevent freezing when left vacant in wonter?

rmak
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 02:08

Thanks MtnDon.
I just posted a new topic about this. I wasn't sure it would catch anyone's eye. Probably an over-reaction, but it's late and I have to figure this thing out.

The cabin is recreational, so won't be used daily. If we do spend a few days, the power is only for lights, fan and a radio.

I bought a deep cell battery charger to charge two deep cell 6V batteries (in series) from the generator. That's why I was hoping to have the generator close to the batteries. If the charger is far away I need to get a wire that will run that long. Any suggestions?

I want to buy a solar panel, and will. But I don't have the $$ right now so I was hoping the charger would keep the batteries full for now. I have a circuit breaker box built to switch from generator to battery power.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 09:04

Quoting: rmak
I got to say you mis-read my post Toyota! I know people mis-interpret comments on the internet, but you are way, way off base. I apologize if I didn't respond to your post clearly, but I was asking legitimate questions in what I thought was a respectful way. I even thanked you for your suggestion. If you check all of my posts you will find that I've always been friendly on the small cabin forum, and always ready to learn.

Sounds great, accept my apology too. If it looks great when finished, that is what is important. I'd keep that window closed when in use. I'm certain the finished product will look as good as the finished cabin (which looks great) when you are done.

rmak
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 09:34 - Edited by: rmak

Will do. I'm new at this off-grid stuff, so I appreciate all the help I get here. Sometimes I don't even know what questions to ask. Hopefully with your advice I'll live to enjoy everything when it's done.

The electric guy who built my circuit breaker box made me a connection cord about 5 ft. long to hook up the generator. I'm going to get a 40 foot wire, as Mt Don suggested and keep the generator at a good distance. I also, as luck has it, have a side of the cabin with no windows. I got the summer to research a way to protect the generator when bad weather comes.

Thanks again. Have a great day.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 10:26

40 feet of 10 gauge can carry 30 amps at 120 VAC with a drop of only 2.4%. Pretty decent.

You can either buy direct burial or run THHN/THWN in conduit underground.

old243
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 22:26

Don,t know if you have a tool, lawn mower shed. If not you might incorporate the generator into it. Old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.