Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Log Cabin ventilation
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 13:29

I have an old log and chink cabin (built in the 1850s) and am trying to figure out if I should to add ventilation. I'm there just about every weekend, but I'm concerned about heat, humidity, and stagnant air during the week. I thought about leaving the upstairs windows cracked so I wouldn't be worried about intruders (plus I have a great camera security system), but I am worried about heavy rain storms.

I found this window ventilator product and wanted to know if anyone here has tried it: http://www.ventilation-system.com/cat/355/

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 16:55

We have a log cabin as well that is about 36 years old. We do not provide any extra ventilation while we are away and have never had an issue with stagnant air. We are in eastern Ontario and it does get quite humid in the summer. It stays quite a bit cooler inside the cabin then the outside temperature. I'm sure in our place there are enough air leaks in places to keep air movement.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jun 2014 22:27

Please post pics of your cabin! Sounds cool.

If it hasn't had a serious ventilation problem in the last 150 years I don't think it will now UNLESS you start heating it in winter much more than it was in the past, inviting condensation against a cold roof deck or such.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 14:07 - Edited by: RedTailHawk

I've only had the place for 2 years and spent the vast part of that time renovating the interior. I'm not sure how well interior furnishings, furniture finishes, cabinet finishes, household goods, etc hold up to sweltering heat. I have Nest thermostats installed on the 1st and 2nd floors so I can check the temperature remotely. It does get quite hot in there, but usually not as hot as the outside.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 21 Jun 2014 21:59

Good question. We are in the same boat with our 1870 log home but I'm in the process of cutting in gable and eve vents just in case. I'll tell you this though, when puttin in the gable events in the attic, it was at least 120 degrees up there or more on a sunny 80 degree day. I was sweating like crazy! Sure couldn't hurt to let it breath.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 21 Jun 2014 23:00

At least you have a barrier above your bedroom. I don't have an attic. However, the log and chinking seem to keep the temperature relatively stable on the inside of the cabin for most of the day, but it still does heat up eventually. When I got there Friday evening, the interior was still very warm (mid 80s) but I just open all the windows and the outside evening air cools off the inside within a few hours.

My concern is when I'm not there to open up the windows, does it retain the heat of the day through most of the night and how does that affect all the furniture, finishes, etc?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 02:05

Is your cabin insulated? If its not than its not airtight.

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 09:18

temperature isn't the real culprit, if you are going to track something keep an eye on humidity. Temperature drives moisture but moisture is what causes wood to move, finishes to fail and decay.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 11:19

Here is a product I use in my basement and put in my boat at the end of the season to remove moisture and prevent mildew and musty smells. It works for me. I don't use it in our cabin because we don't have a problem with these issues.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Jun 2014 11:38

It doesn't help that our roof is metal and a dark color that's for sure. Finally got the front vents in over the weekend. It was a lot of work and I hope it pays off.
[url= ][/url]

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.