Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Security Shutters
willtest00
# Posted: 18 May 2010 09:51

Ive seen that there are a lot of opinions out there on what to do for securing you cabin while away.
I use large wood security shutters of my own design. I was wondering if anyone out there has pics of their shutters that they would like to share.

Thanks
Will

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 18 May 2010 10:53

would love to see pictures of your shutters as well.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 May 2010 17:00

I would love to see ideas on this topic. I will have three cabins and three sheds to secure over the windows.

willtest00
# Posted: 18 May 2010 20:14

This is the best pic i could find of my shutters
They are two layer of 1x6 rough sawn lumber, cross laid and glued and screwed together.
I tested one and they do stop .22 bullets and birdshot. The pair over the sliding glass door were so heavy it took four of us to hang them.

Only problem is that i mounted the hinges on the inside for security but then they won't open to 180 degrees and lay flat against the building.
Been thinking about remounting them with the hinges exposed with one way screws.
P1250520.JPG
P1250520.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 May 2010 22:52

I think you can get around the 180deg open issue if you trim the window out at least the thickness of the shutter. Mount the hinge through the trim and then you will have enough relief for the shutter to open.

fasenuff
# Posted: 20 May 2010 19:39

There are also a number of offset double hinges that would do the trick.

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 May 2010 01:08

Nice job willtest00, I would like to see mkore pics of your cabin, it looks great.

Jranch

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.