Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Canadian cabin, basement = bad idea?
kanesta
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 02:38

Hi everybody

Haven't given much news lately because the whole process of buying the LAND has been so slow.. almost done now though.

In the mean time I have to make some decisions about the design.. one very pressing one is: should it have a basement? Honestly I would prefer it to have one, for storage, to hold my water tank, as a place for the pipes, and to use part of it as a workout room.

In the area where I am building there is a cluster of cabins, almost none of which have basements. A couple do (it is almost too far in the forest to truck cement in). Some people have told me it would be a good investment if I want to spend the money. But then I saw this thread:

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_2211_0.html

Some were saying that if you leave it unheated all winter in a freezing climate (here it is -30 celsius for weeks at a time in winter), then a basement is a BAD idea - the full-on, untempered freezing-thawing cycle will break it up.

I'm not sure what to think and I really need to make a decision. A neighbour can dig me the hole this year but if I wait that opportunity is gone and it gets more expensive if I later decide to have a basement.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Heus
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 07:09

I'm no expert but I would think that if you had no water infiltration (sealing exterior sides and good drainage) you would be fine.

PatrickH
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 07:40

I dont heat mine 18x28 Northern Wisconsin and living in minnesota I've never heard of that. I have a good friend that does almost nothing but foundation repairs and he says clay and lack of filled cores is why they fail. They usually fail here in the wet summer months from water pressure. He see's neighborhoods with high clay content last about 50 years then they come by and fill the cores and add waterproofing on the exterior (if it hasn't caved in) and thats it. Im not sure how much heat you would need to apply to a 12" block to make any difference on the soil side. Lots of people around here insualte the interior walls to finish them off which would compound the problem even further if it was an issue.If your that concerned about it just add some 2" rigid foam before you back fill.I didnt and I'm not worried about it.

kanesta
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 10:34

Okay that sounds reassuring. I forgot to mention that it is on the shore of a river, about 50 feet from the river, up a slope. The water table is 15 feet below where I would build.

PatrickH
# Posted: 19 Jun 2014 15:15

Im on a lake made by a river neighbor 150' away has a sand point well 15' deep Im sure you'll be fine I only went down 7' for my footings and have 2' of block above grade with an 8' wall, just waterproof well and fill the cores every 4' with rebar added.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 5 Jul 2014 20:57 - Edited by: KinAlberta

This might be relevant. Listen to what this guys says about basements under the cabins in his area.

http://youtu.be/HcOcdezGkEI

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Jul 2014 17:58

I agree with him, In the long run, concrete can't resist frost. The old timers would drill igneous rock and let water break it in the winter. Cement block is very weak compared to solid rock, filled or not.

The best is frost posts with good drainage, coupled with large beams all tied together. Like this.
These actually go to bedrock, best
These actually go to bedrock, best

KinAlberta
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 21:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Regarding cement block /cinder block, once upon a time we had our boathouse sitting on the beach with the front overhanging the water. Supporting it were standard cinder blocks. Some lighter weight blocks crumbled after just a few freeze thaw cycles while others lasted for years and years in the water and ice. Seems that there are significant differences in the block quality. Probably the porosity, air entrainment or something.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 21:18

Have you checked out superior walls at all. "superiorwalls.com " Not sure if they are available in Canada or not. That is what I used.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.