Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Raft Ties connection?
<< . 1 . 2 .
ak_flyer
# Posted: 28 Jun 2014 03:32

So with Just's design, what size rafter would be acceptable? 2x10?

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Jun 2014 07:06

It depends...
Building width and snow load would determine the amount of vertical load and horizontal thrust. If the notch is near the end, which it is, and is less than 1/4 depth then normal rafter span tables would work. Generally insulation requirements control rafter depth for cathedral type ceilings.

Just
# Posted: 28 Jun 2014 07:21

we need to know how wide your cabin will be to know how small you can go with the rafters ?? In a 12 ft. wide cabin with a 12 x 12 pitch roof a 12 ft. 2 x 4 would work just fine EXCEPT IF YOU WOULD WANT TO INSULATE WITH MORE THAN 2 IN.S OF INSULATION , then you would need a larger rafter . lots of foakes in the north use 2 x 10 's

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Jun 2014 07:54

The notch over the wall plate in a shallow rafter that is extending out to tie at the overhang would weaken it too much. One way to look at it would be to size the rafter so that at the building width over the notch the wood remaining is at least the minimum depth for the span the table calls for... and then make sure there is no other defect, like a large knot or swirly grain, in that notched zone.

ak_flyer
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 12:47

Sorry been out of town, Yea I was thinking 12x16 with 12/12. I was planning on using 2x8 on 16'' centers. I am in an area with a fair amount of snow, so I was gonna use 80 psf for my figures.

Just
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 12:54

sounds good , let us know how it works out ..

ak_flyer
# Posted: 2 Jul 2014 13:03

Will do, watch out for pictures, hopefully this fall.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.