Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / roof load bearing question
dbcooper
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 21:51 - Edited by: dbcooper

I have just had a building constructed on our rural property. I specified a lofted roof and from what I can tell, the builders built it with the same type of construction from others I have seen.
It has a steel roof on it and I also had Dupont Tyvek Thermo Wrap Low E installed on the outside under the steel roof. My question is what type of ceiling material can I use to finish out and cover my R13?
I have considered the white foam sheets trimmed in cedar for light weight but what about the thin corrugated metal panels?
What material could I use and not overload the roof structure?

Just
# Posted: 22 Jun 2014 22:39

Foam is toxic , should be covered with drywall . perhaps 3\16 plywood trimmed in ceder . should be a vented air space between the steel and fiberglass. depending how far north you are, maybe poly film between the glass and the plywood .IIMO only i'm no expert .

dbcooper
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 23:16

no one else?

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 09:16

Can't really answer the question about how much weight this roof will take, just looking at photos. But Just was right that the main issue here, aside from structural, is ventilation. You can get a lot of condensed moisture inside the vaulted ceiling above the fiberglass if it isn't vented. Particularly if you heat it in a cold winter.

I'd say use 1/2" sheetrock and do whatever it takes to get the venting in so that the air between the fiberglass and plywood roof deck can breath. But from the pics it looks like you put R-13 in a 2x4 space already, taking up the space that needs to be vented. In which case I'd say don't heat the building and always crack windows in cooler weather when cooking or showering.

dbcooper
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 23:13

while I appreciate the input over the venting I'm not concerned with that. My Dupont Low E wrap is vapor permeable air and water barrier plus humidity isn't a real issue here in Texas

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.