Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation question
peace_n_love
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 04:06

I'm building a tiny house (very rustic/basic & non-toxic) in my backyard. Where I live the weather is quite mild plus it will be approx 150 sq ft and will have a heater connected via power cord to main house for heat. I really don't want to have to deal with insulation (for a couple reasons- I have no experience with building/insulation and thus no clue how to do it also am freaked out at the idea of rodents getting into the insulation). Since this is my first building project, I can't say there won't be a place that they would be able to get into, nest/ live SO therefore, don't want to deal with insulation. HOWEVER, I want it to be livable inside!

My question: Is there any type of product that I could wrap my tiny house in (would tar paper work? maybe wrapping the house twice with tar paper ?) that would be an in-between from absolutely no insulation and totally insulated? I'm definitely not looking for perfect. I'm looking for some product that will help just a BIT in keeping heat in during cold & heat out in hot weather. Something relatively cheap and non-toxic.

I have another questions if anyone would be willing to answer as I am super new to this.

1) for the ground-- I'm building it on the 4-way tier blocks. Then will be the 2x4 (or 2x6??) to make the floor. Then I was going to put plywood down. Then what do I put down?? I'm going to be using these cheap hard vinyl tiles I found that I will be using adhesive to put down. But is there some type of something that should be going between the plywood and the vinyl tiles?

Thank you so much for reading! Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 10:54 - Edited by: TheCabinCalls

I would use rigid foam board. Insulate the floor and the roof. I would wrap the outside in a thin rigid foam too even in a mild area. Even an empty cavity will be a place rodents would love to live - insulation just keeps them from stealing your sheets to make their bed. Rigid foam is less desirable and make for a tighter tiny cabin.

Flooring question: people put down resin paper between subfloor and finish floor when it floats. If you are gluing down the floor I would think you'd want it to be glued to the sub floor.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.