Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Avoiding pvc in a well installation
bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 15:43

I'm putting in a well on my property, and decided to use steel well casing instead of pvc because there is so much negative information out there now about the plasticizers in pvc.

My question is regarding the drop pipe- the pipe that goes down to the pump in the well. They typically use pvc for that too, or galv. iron if you want. But there is poly pipe in use for well drop pipe these days, apparently. Anybody know about the pros and cons of using poly drop pipe versus pvc or galv?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 17:19

I would use PVC all the way....

iron casing = rusty water

iron /galv pipe.is that really good for ya???

I worry more about getting hit by a truck /things made in CHINA we cook with or eat.... or a jealous husband killing ya...but hey that's just me...lol

Just
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 20:26

We have but nothing down a well but poly for thirty years or more . it is now the standard .

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 21:20

Mine is steel. I know of no one who has had an issue on either.

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 22:06

Pvc drop pipe is heavy stuff (sch. 80) and screws together rather than glues, which is good because glued pvc joints eventually fail. You'd look funny pulling a pvc pipe out of the well to fix the pump only to find the pipe disconnected and the pump can't be pulled out. So the screwed joints are necessary, but I read about one person whose pvc got brittle and broke at the threads.

Poly is continuous so doesn't have the joint problem. But then, it has to be joined at the pump itself, and I hear poly joints with barbed fittings are not the most reliable over time. Also, what is the tensile strength of the poly itself? One website says you can lower 300 ft of it but no more, I guess for that reason.

You can attach a stainless steel cable to the pump, but this will only relieve the pipe of having to lift the pump when it is removed, it won't relieve the pipe of having to support its own weight.

That's as far as I've got, other than that I don't want the toxic plasticizers in pvc in my long term water supply.

PatrickH
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 07:47

If you do go with HDPE make sure its NSF rated and not irrigation pipe should meet NSF-61 I believe (National Sanitation Foundation) the 61 refers to potable water.Double clamp the hose at the barbs.Thats all my dad has ever used I got a 100' roll at menards $45 it was blue 1" diameter they had all the fittings etc. also.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 08:54

OK, Im thinking he meant well casing. But mine is steel, my pipe from the pump will be 1" poly pipe, the black flexible stuff.

old243
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 14:13

You would be better with a steel pipe to poly adapter in the submersible pump rather than a poly one . then double clamps like Patrick says . mine has a 3/8 poly rope that the pump hangs on This is taped to the poly pipe at intervals. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.