Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Painting exerior siding - primer recommendation?
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 07:29

I've used T1-11 plywood to enclose under my cabin deck. Now I want to paint it to match the rest of the cabin exterior walls.

Here is the material I used: http://www.lowes.com/pd_12957-44903-NA_0__?productId=3010839&Ntt=

Any recommendations on the type of primer I should use?

My wife also wants me to put furring strips over-top of the plywood, so that it matches the top part of the cabin. Should I prime and paint the siding first, and then prime paint the strips before applying to the siding?

Thanks, Rich
20140628_19.06.19..jpg
20140628_19.06.19..jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 11:28 - Edited by: bldginsp

Different primers are meant for different tasks, what you want is a bare wood primer, not a primer meant for existing paint or metal or whatever. Talk to your local paint store. Since it is the primer that creates the adhesion, my belief is to get the best primer available and prep the surface as much as possible. Bare wood needs little if any prep.

Pretty much any top coat will adhere well to any primer, so I tend to skimp on the top coat after spending a lot on the primer. When I painted my used metal roofing on my A frame, I paid $50 for a gallon of super duper primer ('it'll stick to anything!'), and $10 for a bucket of color mismatch topcoat that they had in the back room.

As far as the strips go, painting the wood beneath first is extra insurance against rot. After you install the strips you'd be best off caulking the edges of them all, if that surface is going to get a lot of water against it. Water caught between two pieces of wood promotes rot, on plywood just like any other wood.

gsreimers
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 20:38

T-111 is plywood. Plywood needs acrylic (water based) primer. Sherwin Williams A-100 exterior acrylic primer would be excellent. I don't work for Sherwin Williams but did for 17 years. I have been a painting contractor for 6 years and if it were mine, that's what I would use.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 18 Jul 2014 21:18 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I tend to agree with bldginsp. Years (decades) ago we thoroughly screwed up my father's latex painted cedar siding by painting over it with an oil based paint. Since then, and several latex coats later, the enamel paint is forever bubbling, lifting and cracking. We made the most progress to fixing our error by scraping and power sanding smooth the exposed wood siding and paint edges and then using Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer on the wood. Most of the persistent problem areas disappeared.

And to show that I never learn, I put Behr Premium Deck Stain on my new cedar deck. Unfortunately, this top rated stain is more like a paint and on cedar, it just seems to lift, trap moisture and bubble. I have a thousand square feet of problem deck now that looks like crap. However on the PT wood frame the Behr stain is performing very well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.