Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Log Tenon cutters
Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 22:05

Have any of you used the log tenon cutters and what brand did you use ? They are a little salty and I don't want to buy something that will not do the job. Thanks for any input.

Malamute
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 20:50

Do mean like for making the end of handrails smaller and round?

I used one, it was a pain in the behind. I ended up going back to the way I had done it before.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 20:58

You mean by hand with a hand shaver or whatever they are called. I actually have a couple of them which I used to strip bark off of logs. Trouble is I will need a lot of them and if I do them by hand , it will take me a long time.

Malamute
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 23:50 - Edited by: Malamute

I think you are talking about a drawknife in your post above. That wasn't what I was talking about.

I thought your original question was about a tool to reduce the end of a pole or small log to make it pretty and to insert it into a hole, like the end of a porch rail or stair rail. I looked for a picture but didn't find any close ups. If that is what you meant, I've used a tool that was sort of like a large pencil sharpener run in a drill. It cut the end of a pole down and made a tapered part than about a 1 1/2" round dowel on the end to fit into a hole to mount the rail in place. I didn't care for that tool. I had a different way of doing it with hole saws, a sawzall, and angle head grinder that seemed faster and simpler than the tool.

If you can describe what you are doing it will help. What the material is (logs or are they small poles for handrails?), and what they are for.

Do you mean a tool like this?

http://www.bosworthtools.com/tenoncutters.html

Shadyacres
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 05:39

Yes , Malamute , that is the tool I was talking about ( the link you put up ) and also I thought you meant the drawknife on your original post. I am looking to use limbs say about 3 inch diameter to make spindles and rails for my stairs and the loft area. I need to make a tenon that will fit in the rails. By code I think I need them no more than 4 inches apart. I have drill bits for the holes but need to come up with a way to form the tenon that inserts into the hole to fasten.

Malamute
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 12:33 - Edited by: Malamute

I have a matched pair of hole saws, the ID of one is 1/8 inch different in size so the inside of one fits very will into the OD of the other. Using the larger one, I drill into the end of the pole as squarely as I can, then use a sawzall to cut down from the side as close to that depth as I can without going deeper, and at about the depth the hole saw bored to. I chip off the resulting ring of wood, (use a chisel from the end and chip of small secions at a time) leaving the tennon roughly formed, then use an angle head grinder with a 36 grit wheel to taper the pole down to the resulting tennon size. You'll mess up a few at first while figuring it out, but its possible to get good results fairly quickly. I also counter bore the initial pilot hole about 3/4" deep with a spade bit so the hole saw arbor goes in a little deeper. You'll know what I mean if you try it.

Once you do a few, you'll get the hang of it. The tennons may not be perfectly parallel, but that doesn't seem to cause a problem if not too far out. Once basically assembled, I fit them into where they are going and use either a finish nailer gun to tack the spindles in place, and use 3" or longer torx head screws from an angle that doesn't show to secure the upper and lower rails in place. They are run through the tennons of the rails at the junction of the hole they insert into, and at an angle. It becomes pretty stout when done well, but I wouldn't rely only on them for security, the end posts should be independently strong. If you get the length just right, you can get the rails to fit between existing hard mounted posts by slipping the tennon into one, then lining up the other end, and then centering it. It elaves a little more tennon exposed, but works fine. I make the tennon on the first end inserted a little longer in those cases. You'll figure out how once you do a few ends.

When I make the taper on the poles to the tennon, I make "facets" or flat spots with the grinder, it looks more like hand built or hand peeled with a drawknife, and just adds a little detail.

The whole thing doesn't take long once you've done a few.

One of the issues with the manufactured tool is trying to hole the pole as you use the tool, that ended up being a real bugger. It seemed to me to take more effort and people power than doing it the way I described.

This doesn't show much detail, but you can see the end result of the rails being mounted. The spindles would just be added as needed before assembling. Its sort of a two person job to assemble the completed rail with spindles. I'll see if I can get a pic of a rail with spindles I did. May be a day or three.

As for time, its not a fast process with or without the tool. It's detail work. You'll figure out a system that helps it go smoother as you do it.

neb
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 13:32

Very nice work Malamute

Shadyacres
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 15:09

Looks very good Malamute , It sounds like the way you did it should work very well and I have all those tools already so that will save me a few hundred bucks right from the start. If it takes me awhile , so what , it will get done in its own sweet time. Thanks a million.

Malamute
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 15:47

Sure!

Another thought came up. When doing each piece, I do all of the first end first, leaving an inch or so extra on the opposite end. I have someone help me by holding the poles when I do the hole sawing on the end, so I can focus on the drill work. I can do the sawzall and grinder work alone, often holding them under my leg and being able to turn them as needed. A work table at the correct height helps, I've used saw horses also, and made notched holders so they didn't roll. Once I get the length marked, and the hole saw work done, I can go back to solo work.

Wear a good dust mask when doing the grinder work, that sawdust is really hard on your lungs.

Holding the poles in place while using the expensive tool was one of the problems I encountered. They are hard to hold with a high torque drill and the tool.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 20:06

Malamute , I also have a drill press so I will probably make I jig to hold the pieces in place while I drill. I picked up some logs today at the cabin, may try to find time this week to see how it goes.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 22:50

I made a jig to do that using my router. If you google logman tenon cutter you will see a similar device which is what I based mine on. I can make any size tenon I want and use long pieces of lumber up to 8" diameter. I used it to make my headboard for my bed. Works great and I plan to use it aa lot more. I'm in the process of making a log cabin sauna and I want to do a porch with railings using the tenon maker. Here is a pic of my headboard.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 23:02

Well I guess my blackberry isn't going to let me show you the pic. But google logman and you will see what that fella did and I made essentially the same thing.
headboard
headboard

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 23:05

Oh I guess it did let me! If you are interested I'll take pics of my jig and post it for you

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 23:27 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I bought a log tennon maker. It is a jig that hooks to a 1/2" router. And then you turn the router on, stick the log end in it and turn it. It sharpens it kinda like a pencil. Then I have the drill bits to make the mating hole. I bought it from Rockler. I tried to find it on the website but cant.

http://www.rockler.com/tools

OK, I found a picture of the tool I bought from them, on their webpage.
http://www.rockler.com/how-to/log-furniture-modern-tools-make-the-hard-part-easy/

This is the tool I bought. It does many sizes, ie 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/2 and 2" I have the forstener bits to drill in for the mating holes. I think I bought the bits for 3/4", 1" and 1.5"
36407is4.jpg
36407is4.jpg

Shadyacres
# Posted: 18 Aug 2014 20:49

skootamattaschmidty , I would be interested in seeing pictures of your tenon jig when you get a chance. Shady Acres

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.