Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Plans for a 12x16
Redline3504
# Posted: 15 Aug 2014 11:35

Anyone have detailed plans for a 12x16 cabin with a gamble roof? I know what im looking to do, but have never built anything before. It seams preaty straight forward but some plans would sure make me feel better.

Don_P
# Posted: 16 Aug 2014 13:43

This was a concept drawing of something a little bigger, a 16x24 postframe barn. Features continuous posts from footing to top plate to adequately brace the structure, tied gambrel rafters to resist horizontal thrust.
1624barn.jpg
1624barn.jpg

Ruggles
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 21:48

Here's a picture of my 12X16 in Colorado. I have jpegs of the plans if you'd like. I built them on a computer with simple power point software.
Jeff

Ruggles
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 21:50

oops
cabin
cabin

Redline3504
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 00:14

Thanks for the replys. Thats a good looking cabin Ruggles, but not quite what im looking for.

VTweekender
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 11:53

look at http://www.townandcountryplans.com and scroll to the bottom and find the free plan offered, might be what your looking for.

ThomD
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 14:15

I would break out the problem into looking at what kind of foundation you are building; that will pretty much dictate walls, for instance you don't need posts as well as studs to build a house on a slab or a lumber deck. You can easily support second story loads (that tub or sofa), with 2x4s on 16 inches. In reality your spacing could easily be 3 feet, but codes don't read that way around here; then source the specific roof truss or rafter, you can make minor stylistic changes based on the look you are after, the basic issue is span, spacing and the component size. You can raise or lower the depth of the roof without much worry.

Good places to look are all the Styles plans in their various books. You can mix and match many of the plans whether for workshops, sheds, or cabins, somewhere they will have your roof details, etc...

There are various government publications that will give you expert info on building the box below the roof.

Over the years the likes of Popular Mechanics have published just about every shed/cabin design you could imagine. Search Google books for back issues.

Finally a great source for design info is to look at stuff like picnic shelters in your locality. These are often creative timber designs, and they are built for your local conditions. If they stand on four corners with no walls, they are easily adapted to any plan you may want to develop. Of course Gambrels in your case are rare, but so long as it elevates a ring around the perimeter upon which a roof can rest, you have what you need to go ahead with a truss or rafter. Check local code on rafter sizing and spacing, often will specify for garages or sheds, and you can apply that to a stick roof of any configuration.

Here are some specs:

http://www.easyrafters.com/gambrel.htm

The thing about modern materials for small buildings is that it is a system with only a few rules, once learned you can throw them together in any applicable combination.

Higgins
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 18:47

Ruggles

I am interested in your plans for the 12x16 house. My wife and I are trying to build something similar.

Any plans/details would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jason
Edmonton, AB

Willgraz
# Posted: 2 Sep 2020 23:34

I know this post is really old, but I love the cabin and am looking for something similar. Do you mind if I get the plans? It would awesome!

MandyK
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 16:11

Ruggles
Do you still have those plans? My husband and I are doing our first build a ND have no clue what we are doing

frankpaige
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 16:27 - Edited by: frankpaige

MandyK
Does that door window arrangement suit you? Some would question the door placement, some want bigger windows. Are these things that you and hubby have talked about?
There are free plans out there. Also, plans for garages that are this size. It is something you will be with for a long time.
I am sure there are others with plans on this site also. You came to the right place.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 08:10

Quoting: MandyK
Do you still have those plans? My husband and I are doing our first build a ND have no clue what we are doing

If you dont know what your doing a 12x16 shel can be delivered at a prety affordable price. A quick local search in my area shows a 12x16 lofted Dutch style barn for $8k..considering they have a price online I bet it's about $2k higher than a smaller company would sell one for. Most of the shed sales places dont actualy make them, just sell/deliver.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 09:26

From what Im seeing here those 'old' prices may be honored as the stock on hand was bought for less, but new builds are likely to reflect the current inflated lumber resupply costs.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.