Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Slab foundation vs Sona Tubes
weecabin
# Posted: 9 Jun 2010 13:27

Hey All. Wonderful site with so much great info. I am about to start on a 10x12 post and beam "wee cabin" as my family calls it. Any thoughts out there in small cabin world concerning pouring a concrete slab for a foundation versus using sona tubes ?

Thanks !

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 Jun 2010 15:08

I will be pouring the piers for two 10x12 shed/cabins on our mtn. property this weekend. I'm going with piers for several reasons.

- Ground is sloping about 12" on one shed, 18" on the other.
- Location is remote, concrete will have to be hand mixed on site.
- I prefer walking on a wood floor over concrete.

fthurber
# Posted: 21 Jun 2010 18:20 - Edited by: fthurber

A wise friend of mine said "You see a lot of new sheds that are built down low to the ground but you don't see any old sheds on the ground." Use tubes and get the wood as far away from the ground as possible.

At my old place where I was caretaker (part-time) they had an ancient woodshed that was about 3 feet (!) off the ground on granite piers. Not a sign of rot. Go as high as you dare.

Anonymous
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 15:44

thanks for the replys. I ended up with a hybrid mix. I poured a foundation, but made it about 26 inches off the ground.

weecabin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 15:50

here is where we are on our cabin so far...
CAMP_2.jpg
CAMP_2.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.