Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Advice for sealing around window trim
Merccooper
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 21:36

Hi All,
Hoping I can get some advice on how to caulk around window trim. The outside of my cabin is ship-lapped. I don't have a picture of it so I tried to draw one

The image on the left of the black line is looking at the trim from the side as if you had your face pressed against the wall. The brown is the ship-lap and the green is the trim. The blue X is the part that I want to fill in. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. The image on the right is looking at the wall/window head on.

So...I want to caulk where the blue gap is. I don't think I can use regular caulk as it would likely run. Also, I don't think I could apply it evenly enough. So, I'd like to use some kind of putty. Any suggestions?
(sorry for the terrible drawings!)
Thanks
Cottage.bmpAttached file: Cottage.bmp

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 23:08 - Edited by: Gary O

Hi there, Merccooper

Not seeing 'the blue X'
(then again I am color blind....but not seeing the X either)

However, a half to three quarter inch is a lotta gap for caulking.

You might consider chinking.....

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 23:28

There are 'big stretch' caulks made for filling large gaps. You need to stuff a backer rod or something in there first to fill most of the hole then cover the end with a large gap caulk.

Or, chinking as suggested above

Or, fill with spray foam, cut off excess when dry, smear with caulk and paint

I suggest you don't use any cement based stuff like plaster or stucco, because it is too rigid and gaps will appear as the wood moves. But, those gaps could be filled with regular caulk, so this method is possible, easy, and inexpensive. My Grandfather was an expert with stucco and baling wire long before the days of bondo and gap-filling caulks. Ah, the good old days!

The correct way to instal siding like this is to install the trim before the siding, then butt the siding up against the edge of the trim. A lot of work to correct that now, but it removes the problem entirely.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 23:32

I see green, brown and the black vertical divider.

If the gap is between the end of the siding and the trim, and if that is as large as described you would need filler or backer rod. Install that and then caulk.

Sample of what I mean

~~~

Q: is the trim thicker than the siding where the overlap occurs?

Merccooper
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 08:46 - Edited by: Merccooper

Thanks guys for the replies. Very much appreciated!
(I uploaded version 1 of my art work instead of version 2 that has the blue X included. Here is version two)

I wish I had done it the correct way that you indicated bldginsp, that would have been much nicer! Maybe on my next cabin!

I think I'll look into the big stretch caulking or the chinking. I've used the spray foam in other, non visible, places.

I was hoping to find some kind of firm putty to use (along with backer rod). Using putty sounds easiest to me...I first used putty in kindergarten so I have a few more years experience with it Also, I could likely get it in a colour that would complement the current stain.

Anyone use linseed oil putty?
Cottage.bmpAttached file: Cottage.bmp

Merccooper
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 09:16

Here is a sample picture I got from the internet while searching different products.
Trim_gap.jpg
Trim_gap.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.