Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Why all the plywood and milled lumber?
fthurber
# Posted: 21 Jun 2010 21:02

Why does everyone use so much plywood? Ick! It off gasses, and if you buy it from a Big Box store, chances are that it will de-laminate.

I have built three sheds and one studio but never once used plywood. And only used 8 sticks of milled lumber on my chicken/storage shed(which was a mistake). I buy all my wood from the sawmill; it is rough cut and green but the price is right. The only drawback is that the green stuff will shrink, but I store the wood for a few months or so to let it dry.

The roughcut has a much more pleasing appearance when finished also.

Borrego
# Posted: 21 Jun 2010 21:23

Probably because it saves time? I am planning to avoid it where possible when I start building next fall... tongue and groove etc...

lawnjoky
# Posted: 4 Jul 2010 09:09

fater, cheaper, better.

I used locally milled board and batten siding on my place.

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Jul 2010 10:28

Plywood is rated for specific structural applications, as is most lumber from the lumber yard. it is graded to meet structural minimums. Sawmill wood can be anything. You could get punked out lumber that is too weak to build with, wood infested with ants/pests, excessive warping, twisting and sap, and most places it won't pass code with an engineers stamp. So there's a few reasons.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 7 Jul 2010 22:44

+1 anonymous, I believe plywood if used for its intended purposes is a saving grace, but I can defenitly appreiciate a more rustic look buy not using manufactured products

indigo
# Posted: 26 Jul 2010 23:30

if you are going to use plywood, there are some options that don't off-gas. i've worked on some commercial interior fit-out projects that used Purebond from Columbia Forests Products. It has no added urea formaldehyde in the binders, which is the major source of emissions.

I'm thinking about trying it out for some upcoming interiors work on my shed. I just logged onto their website, and was suprised to see that they are no now selling through Home Depot. http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.