Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulating portable buildings
BryanL
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 14:00

Quick question for those of you with portable building on skids. I am talking to a few builders about either a 12x20 lofted barn or a 12x24 cabin and I am wondering about the cost of insulating the floor. It does not come standard and like everyone else, I am trying to keep costs down. I'm wondering how bad it would be to not have an insulated floor in Minnesota. Keep in mind I am only using this for a hunting cabin and might only be in it 8-10 weekends a year. Will be using propane heater so can crank the heat up pretty well. Builder will be using 3/4 inch tg flooring. Welcome anyone's experiences with this. Also,
Anyone know if these portable building outfits discount their cabins in the winter?

22hemi13
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 15:23

I live in tx. Gets cold in winter. No insulation ununder floor. I just put out a big throw rug and that takes chill off floor. Cabin stays comfy. Everything else is insulated

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 16:21

If you do, you also need to protect it from critters. They will get in there and nest, tear it up and you wont have access to make repairs. You need a mesh to keep varmitns out of you do insulate, plus some breathing is needed to prevent mold and a vapor barrier on the ground and a breathable one under the floor. Go galvanised mesh, Tyvek, insulation.

BryanL
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 16:52

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech

If you do, you also need to protect it from critters. They will get in there and nest, tear it up and you wont have access to make repairs. You need a mesh to keep varmitns out of you do insulate, plus some breathing is needed to prevent mold and a vapor barrier on the ground and a breathable one under the floor. Go galvanised mesh, Tyvek, insulation.

Yes, this is my concern. Those who do insulate look at me a little funny when I mention using a mesh. I'm wondering if it's just easier to avoid the whole mess and not insulate. For the limited use and small amount of space I'm not sure it's worth insulating it. Crank up the heat and use throw rugs or slippers.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 18:32 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

You don't need insulation in the floor. The floor will be cold with or without insulation, as heat rises. I insulate floors for about 2% of my customers. I do caution them that their floors will still feel cool. I myself didn't bother on my own and just have indoor outdoor carpet. In the winter, I bank with snow. After all your house has no floor insulation. When we do insulate , we nail 1x2's along the lower edge of each joist then set in OSB panels and fill with fiberglass. I charge $2.00 per sq. ft. for that to my customers. And yes, we're in Northern MN.

Owen
floor insulating
floor insulating

BryanL
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 20:10

Quoting: OwenChristensen
You don't need insulation in the floor. The floor will be cold with or without insulation, as heat rises. I insulate floors for about 2% of my customers. I do caution them that their floors will still feel cool. I myself didn't bother on my own and just have indoor outdoor carpet

Thanks Owen, that was exactly the information I was looking for. My property is between Pine City and Mora and I was just looking for "permission" from an expert like yourself to avoid the whole mess and expense.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 00:33

Your welcome

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.