Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Drain the water lines
redlandfd
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 17:58

I am plumbing my lake cabin and would like to design some type of way to drain the lines when I'm not there in the winter. I have the main line stubbed in and have stopped. Any suggestions? I have an idea or two but experienced answers are usually better. I know this is kind of vague, sorry.

redlandfd
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 18:03

Also, I'm on a water meter not a well, so no problems with the tank or pump.

Just
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 18:41 - Edited by: Just

most cabins are plumed to drain by opening one or two exterior taps . I used 2 hose bib taps one for hot one cold . Every thing will drain out the taps including the hot water tank . It dose require some planing . I would suggest you install a outside curb stop UNDER GROUND shut off . not sure if you have a meter and what is required to frost proof it . I used a short heat tape to protect the line coming in under the foundation to the main shutoff
we had no meter.

turn off hot water tank
turn off main
open outside taps
open all inside taps including shower
plug in heat tape
your done

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Nov 2014 20:34

On demand water heaters and shower mixing valves do not drain all their water and can be damaged in freezing. Also, you may not be able to slope all your water lines downward. So it can be a good idea to set your lines up to be blown out with compressed air. There are many very small compressors that will do the job.

SandyR
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 21:48

We were too late with our 55 gallon water barrels. They have already frozen solid! Ugh
Will they be damaged?
The low there this week is 9 degrees.

bobrok
# Posted: 15 Nov 2014 22:03

I had mine freeze solid on me last year, along with my pump. They were in the shed and I was fortunate to have a kerosene heater at camp. It took a few days but everything thawed with no damage except for one cracked plastic shutoff. The barrels themselves came through without any damage whatsoever. They're hardy. Good luck.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Nov 2014 14:21

I headed down to put a light in my well pump house now . I drained all the pipes at camp on Friday.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 15:53

My cabin has a valve to turn off the water coming from the well. It then has two separate hose bib valves (hot & cold) at the lowest spot in the plumbing system, with hoses that go outside the foundation to drain.

So, when leaving..... it's a breeze to drain the water.

I also take bio-degradable anti-freeze in each of the sink traps, and in the toilet.

redlandfd
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 21:33

Thank you everyone, yes, I am going to set a drain valve underground where the water line enters the cabin and drain the water heater. I like the idea of blowing out the lines, so I may try to set up something there.

buzzardroostfarm
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 21:44

I have a sand filter at the well pressure tank. I turn off the well, open the filter flush valve and the faucets at the same time. This causes suction on the faucets which pulls the water out of the cabin lines. So far each time its worked like a charm. I installed a drain line on the water heater. A little rv antifreeze in the toilet and sink traps and we are good to go.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.