Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Flooring
Miramichi
# Posted: 30 Nov 2014 08:49

Hi everyone,

I have an older log cabin (built in the 1920's) which I've brought back to life over the years. I replaced the floor a couple years ago with pressure treated floor joists and chipboard for the flooring. I was considering a more modern flooring over the chipboard and was considering the Allure vinyl flooring from Home Depot. It seemed to be the most flexible as the camp will shift/twist slightly over the winter due to the frost. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or any other recommendations for such a floor.

Thanks as always!

creeky
# Posted: 30 Nov 2014 11:07

I've used the allure for an entrance (wet boots/muck). it's vinyl flooring in easy to lay sheets. worked for me. looks pretty good too.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 00:10

I used it in my home's basement. At the time they said you could put it right on concrete floors if there were no moisture issues* but apparently have since modified their instructions. The diychatroom forum has an extensive discussion on it.

It's worked very well us. I did it by myself. Get an assistant and you'll save a lot of time and grief. Installation wasn't as easy as they said it would be because I was laying if in a long room about 35' long. Laid a string and double sided taped the first course but still had issues over the length and out a number of courses when a gap started to appear, so I quickly redid four or five rows by 10-15 ft long. Minor problem. In another room only 20 or so feet long it was much easier to lay a straight line. If the floor has any dips you'll find that it floats and it will make a tapping noise when you step in that area (I carefully checked and levelled spots on our basement floor but missed one slightly low spot.

Get a rubber mallet. When you have to tap in a 'plank' just grab a tongue and groove scrap place it against the good piece and tap the scrap to avoid damaging that piece.

I sought out the vinyl product because kids could spill something on it, not tell us and it won't ruin the floor. With the engineered wood, leave water on it and it seeps into the joints, swells and you have to cut out sections. In a cabin where a leak in the roof could let water sit for ages I'd fear that a lot of damage could occur before it was discovered.

* our basement is very dry but I still didn't trust the instructions so I spread borax and baking soda across the floor to try to minimize moisture buildup / mould / fungus growth plus laid down some landscape fabric as a bit of a spacer. ( Put down anything thick and spongy and the joints will tear apart under weight.)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.